Living in a competitive world, it becomes quite challenging to decide on the right career. One of the most important components of life lies in setting SMART career goals. Perhaps if you enjoy data handling and statistics classes, then becoming a data analyst can be the best choice, as it is one of the most highly regarded professions today. Without a doubt, data analytics courses in Australia serve as the best learning facilities because of their high acquisition of leading-edge technology.
Australia is at the pinnacle of establishing itself as a global data analytics hub. Hence, it can be a promising place to learn data analytics for a data-driven future. Inarguably data analytics courses in Australia are the best. You can learn about data analysis in this post if you are a novice in this field. You can also learn about the duties and responsibilities involved, the primary skills required, and the top courses in Australia for data analytics.
What is Data Analysis in Simple Words?
Imagine you run a company that manufactures many products. After spending a lot of money and time, you turn up with a new product. Now that you are going to launch your product, you believe in giving 110 % and winning the customers. Unluckily, it does not fulfill the expectations of the company’s growth.
This, in turn, does not give rise to productivity in business. For this reason, to yield the company’s revenue, a data analyst plunges into the customer’s data to uncover the reason for not selling the product efficiently. He analyzes the pros and cons by focusing on consumers’ needs and wants.
And subsequently improves the product to achieve its goal by looking at the product insights. Isn’t this interesting? But you must go the extra mile to turn your setback into a comeback. In simple terms, a data analyst analyses raw data and extracts information that helps make wise business decisions to increase any company’s or the industry’s productivity rate using statistical tools through graphs, charts, images, and tables.
Being a geek, you might have studied what data is. Otherwise, it is necessary to comprehend that data represents a collection of unorganized facts useful in drawing out information about a particular product, service, or company. Every company, industry, campaign, and government sector collects data for better planning and business decisions.
Believe it or not; data analytics is the keystone for a successful business organization. We use data in almost every business environment to regulate broad operations. From social media platforms to logistics and delivery, and financial sectors to healthcare and education, data analytics are widely used to prosper the needs of organizations and boost business revenue.
Why Are Data Analysts Important?
The president of Hewlett Packard Enterprise claims that data is the new currency of the twenty-first century. With the emergence of the data age, almost every business counts on big datasets. Without data, no business can prosper. So, it is essential to understand that data analysts perform a key role in every organization as they bring a positive transition to the company. As a beginner, it is necessary to know about the role and responsibilities of a data analyst.
Also Read: Data Analytics Vs Data Science – Key Differences
Roles and Responsibilities of Data Analyst
The roles and responsibilities of data analysts vary according to the business sector they are working in. However, data analysts must be skilled in,
1. Data Mining
Data mining is a process in which the business organization collects, stores analyzes, and formats data to disclose new trends and patterns by turning the raw and unstructured datasets into useful information. Data mining involves different stages, and here, a data analyst extracts the data input and transforms the information in such a way that it is effortlessly apprehended and presented through graphs or tables.
2. Data Cleaning and Preparation
Every database contains waste information and sources. A data analyst’s role is precisely to remove junk databases for the company’s development. To be specific, data preparation includes data scrubbing, which is one of the fundamental processes performed by the data analyst. It is a process in which a data analyst,
- cleans and removes dirty data which are useless,
- corrects the errors present in the raw and unorganized database,
- and rectifies missing codes
- ensuring the quality of the data to leverage business revenue via marketing and business strategies.
- checks whether the data input is duplicated or not.
- check if the data is coherently arranged in the right format.
- produces original, insightful data to increase sales plans, and finally,
- generates and designs accurate datasets according to the niche.
3. Data Reporting
Preparing reports is another crucial task of a data analyst because it is the report that lays out a basic understanding of particular facts and information. A data report can be static or interactive. Analysts use modern tools such as virtual dashboards, graphs, tables, infographics, pie charts, images, and PowerPoint presentations for data reporting. Numerical values are also employed wherever necessary to draw meaningful insights and provide profitable business outcomes.
A data analyst can distribute his work with other team members according to the skills they acquire. Training team members on the fundamentals of data analysis and providing them with various tools fosters a collaborative environment. Therefore, working with a team together generates faster insights. Different sources of data attract wide opinions that drive different ideas, which are chiefly achieved through teamwork and communication.
Top 5 Skills Required for Data Analytics Courses in Australia
If you have decided to pull your weight to thrive in on-demand careers like data analytics, then no matter what, you must buckle down and master these top 5 important skills that can make you start your career in data analytics and advance further.
Structured query language (SQL) is a software language used by databases, and it is the most essential skill to procure as a data analyst. SQL can largely manage big databases. It can save, add, update, and delete rows of data. Most importantly, it is utilized to query a set of data. Codecademy is a place where you can boost your skills in SQL for free.
A tableau is a tool used for data visualization in data analysis and business intelligence (BI). With the help of Tableau, data analysts blend their data stories in a well-descriptive style by drawing tables, graphs, charts, and dashboards to present the data in a comprehensible way.
All you have to do is drag and drop to generate data visualizations and marvel at the spell they cast on your business insights. Interestingly, Tableau can extract data from any database, be it from Excel, PDF, Oracle, or even Amazon Web Services.
3. Microsoft Excel
The power of Excel can never be underestimated by any business sector. Microsoft Excel is the most popular data analysis tool that aids in structuring a raw dataset and transmuting it into brand-new statistical data that produces blooming insights.
It is easier to store and manage data in Excel, and it also provides a broad range of data visualization tools that are easy to access. Learn Excel to work with excessively large amounts of data; moreover, analysts must possess skills in sorting, filtering data, and pivot tables. Analysts who retain excellent knowledge of Excel are widely preferable.
4. Programming Language
Python and R are easy-to-learn statistical programming languages that are in-demand skills for data analysis. These dynamic languages can handle a massive number of datasets and develop statistical models, which Excel cannot. Both Python and R are useful for data analytics and data science. You are likely to work with leading companies like Google and Facebook if you are skilled in these programming languages.
5. Machine Learning
Machine learning makes you advance in your career as a data scientist. It is a method of implementing algorithms to derive data, evaluate it, predict new trends and future outcomes with minimal human interference, and uncover statistical patterns. This learning plays a vital role in predictive analytics. Any job seeker who is skilled in machine learning is highly preferred.
Other Skills That You Must Have as a Data Analyst Include:
- Creative thinking & critical thinking
- Math and Statistics
Must check the other best courses in Australia
Data Analytics Courses in Australia
Are data analytics courses in Australia worth it? Yes indeed! Data analytics is one of the fastest-growing careers in the world. Unlike a master’s degree, which is a 2-year program of coursework, data analytics courses in Australia provide several graduate certificate courses, which are short, a non-degree program of study that lasts for 6 months or eight.
These courses deliver flexible learning in the form of online, on-campus, or mixed learning. They are specially designed for students who want to expand their knowledge in a particular field to pursue their master’s or for employers who seek the best job and high salary by exhibiting their skills that can steer data insights to the next level.
Graduate certificate courses are also the best option for students who cannot invest much money to enter graduate school. It is never too late to start anything that you aspire to. Be prepared to roll up your sleeves if you want to become successful in your job because here are the 5 best universities that offer graduate certificate courses in data analytics in Australia that can help you learn the ropes as a data analyst.
5 Best Universities Offering Data Analytic Courses in Australia
Rank# 1. Data Analysis Courses in Australia
1. The University of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne is one of the most highly recognized universities worldwide, in Melbourne, Australia. It occupies the third position in the country and is ranked 33 in the QS ranking, 2023. This institution of higher learning covers vast postgraduate and undergraduate programs which are groomed for the advancement of students’ proficiency in learning.
Its outstanding achievement in research and teaching is unpreventable. More and more, it offers fully funded scholarships for international students. This leading university has come a long way since it also imparts knowledge and useful skills online for the effective outgrowth of the career.
Undoubtedly, with a handful of various course programs, the university presents one of the best data analytics courses in Australia. The University’s full-fledged graduate certificate in applied data analytics can immerse you in the data-driven world and allow you to analyze and play with the insights.
- The course applies to both domestic and international students.
- The mode of learning is online.
- It is a one-year, part-time course.
- The fee structure is approximately AU$17,500.
- A candidate must hold a bachelor’s honors degree or equivalent in a relevant industry like health, psychology, urban design/architecture, built environment, education; or
- The candidate must hold a three-year bachelor’s degree qualification in a related field and at least two years of relevant work experience, or
- A minimum of eight years of work experience in a similar field and
- A personal statement.
Note: Academic performance in the relevant field, work experience, and a personal statement matter the most to get enrolled in this course.
- Develop practice-based knowledge of applied data analytics.
- Analyze text and unstructured data.
- Calculating, manipulating, and interpreting data to derive alternative solutions to business problems
- Drive key insights and predict social and organizational change and innovation through data.
- Manipulate data to produce informed business decisions.
- Best learning outcome with the highest pay
- Health Care Analyst
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Data Analyst
- Database Specialist
- Marketing Analyst
- Data Scientist
Note: This course is unavailable to international students who study in Australia and hold an Australian student visa. This course is available to all other international students who study online.
Recommended Read: Online Data Analytics Courses
Rank# 2. Data Analysis Courses in Australia
2. RMIT University
The Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) is a public research university situated in the heart of Melbourne City, Australia. The university is ranked 190 in the QS World University Rankings 2023, and it occupies the 11th position in Australia.
It is a globally recognized university with three campuses in Melbourne, two in Vietnam, one center in Spain, and a representative office in Indonesia. This internationally recognized university offers a graduate certificate course in analytics.
The course is highly designed for candidates who aspire to establish a successful career in the competitive field of data analytics with interactive, practical learning. Like other data analytics courses in Australia, this course also covers vast areas like healthcare, logistics, environment, security, and statistical tools.
- The course applies exclusively to domestic students.
- Modes of learning include both on-campus and blended learning.
- It is a six-month full-time course and one year part-time.
- The fee structure is around AU$15,360.
- The candidate must hold an Australian Bachelor’s degree (AQF 7) or equivalent from a recognized institution; or
- minimum of five years of full-time work experience in a relevant field.
- Applied mathematical and statistical knowledge
- usage of modern computational and data visualization tools.
- Ability to examine and respond to a wide range of problems
- Develop analytical skills through professional practice.
- Market analyst
- Data scientist
- Information analyst
Recommended Read: Data Analytics Courses in the UK
Rank# 3. Data Analysis Courses in Australia
3. Deakin University
Deakin University is one of the top open research universities in Burwood, Victoria, Australia. The university comprises four campuses placed in different parts of Australia. Ranked 3rd in the world of sports science, it also inherits a “cloud campus,” which is an online learning environment.
It is open to all students and about 15,000 students study online. Its top-notch research facilities, quality education, and innovative technology serve the best employment outcomes. Studying data analytics courses in Australia is worth it because graduate certificate courses and a master’s in data analytics and data science at Deakin University can be one of the finest options for you to thrive in your career.
- The course applies to all domestic and international students.
- The mode of learning is online or distant.
- It is a one-year course.
- The fee structure is around AU$14,700.
- The candidate must obtain a bachelor’s degree in any field or
- He must have 2 years of work experience in a relevant area.
- Students with no computing background are also eligible.
- International applicants must have an overall band score of 6.5 in IELTS or hold good scores from other English language tests like TOEFL, PTE, C1, and C2 Tests, and OET.
- How to Use Data to Support Organizational Decision-making
- Attain essential skills and statistical knowledge needed in data analytics
- Develop foundation skills related to security and privacy issues, research and development, and real-world analytics.
- Data Analyst
- Research Analyst
- Management Analyst
Recommended Read: Data Analytics Courses in Nigeria
Rank# 4. Data Analysis Courses in Australia
4. The University of Newcastle
The University of Newcastle is considered one of the most highly esteemed universities in Australia. It is a public university situated in Callaghan, Australia. This popular institution welcomes over 6000 international students from around 105 countries and is ranked in the top 200 universities in the QS rankings in 2023.
This well-established institution is broadly notable for its leading research centers and extraordinary teaching method. The University of Newcastle also approves a flexible learning environment and therefore delivers a bunch of courses in various subjects, including a graduate certificate course in data analytics.
Just like other data analytics courses in Australia, this course also unfolds your wings to fly in the world of data analytics and polishes your skills to gain the best position in the workplace.
- The course applies to all domestic and international students.
- The mode of learning is online or distant.
- It is a one-year, full-time course.
- The fee structure is around AU$19,225.
- The candidate must hold a bachelor’s degree (AQF 7) or a higher qualification, or
- He must hold an AQF Level 6 Advanced Diploma or Associate Degree in a relevant field and a minimum of one-year relevant experience, or
- He can hold an AQF Level 5 Diploma in a similar area and a minimum of two years of relevant experience, or
- minimum of at least 5 years of relevant professional experience
- International students must score at least a minimum of 6.5 in IELTS.
- knowledge of statistical and computational tools for data wrangling and data visualization.
- Statistical and computational techniques and decision-making skills for expanding business intelligence
- critical thinking and problem-solving skills to support data storage and manage legal issues and risks.
- 100% employment outcome
- Data Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Business Intelligence Specialist
- Data and Insights Expert
- Information Security Analyst
- Data Specialist
- Organizational Development Specialist
Recommended Read: Data Analytics Courses in India
Rank# 5. Data Analysis Courses in Australia
5. Griffith University
Griffith University is an open research university located in Queensland, Australia. The renowned institution is finely equipped with five more campuses, and the university is internationally recognized because of its excellent quality research, standard education, and wide range of scholarships.
The University offers more than hundreds of undergraduate and postgraduate study programs. The digital campus also provides numerous flexible learning options and courses for different streams.
It offers a graduate certificate in data analytics and cyber security and is regarded as one of the finest data analytics courses in Australia. This course is specially developed for data analyst aspirants who believe in making wise business decisions and forecasting future trends.
- The course applies to all domestic and international students.
- The mode of learning is an online or distant, part-time course.
- The fee for this course starts from $4000.
- The candidate must hold a bachelor’s degree or bachelor’s honors degree in Information Technology or Computer Science or an equivalent from a recognized University with a minimum GPA of 4.0, or
- A minimum of at least five years of full-time work experience in a relevant field.
- International applicants must have an overall band score of 6.5 in IELTS or hold good scores from other English language tests such as the TOEFL, PTE, and C1 and C2 tests.
- Analyze, manipulate, model, and interpret large data sets using programming language tools, such as Python, Tableau, Hadoop, and SQL.
- Secure business data, predict trends and patterns, and generate insights.
- using business intelligence tools to extract data for commercial advantage.
- Database Administrator
- ICT Security Specialist
- Systems Administrator
- Data Analyst
- Systems Analyst
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What relevant fields are eligible for studying data analytics courses in Australia?
Anyone who holds a bachelor’s degree in mathematics, statistics, information technology, computer science, commerce, and economics is eligible. If not, learners with the required skills needed for data analysis can also take up data analytics courses in Australia.
2. Is it necessary to learn both Python and R for data analytics?
Anyone can learn Python and R as they are easy-to-learn coding languages. Gaining enough skills in any one of the programming languages can make you a data analyst. If you want to advance your career to work with big data and become a data scientist, in that case, Python would be the best choice.
Python is a general programming coding language made to work in large web applications, software development, machine learning, and artificial intelligence. On the other side, R is more of a statistical approach and data visualization. Therefore, it is best suited for data analysis. Learning Python first is highly recommended as that would pave the way for more career options.
3. Are graduate certificate data analytics courses in Australia worth it?
Yes, a graduate certificate course done from a recognized university is worth it because they carry high credit points that will make you learn from the basics to advance. The certification is enough for you to obtain a prime position in the workplace as a data analyst.
According to Global Scholarships, Australia is one of the top 5 countries to study data analytics abroad. The country encourages the students to regard the earn while you learn policy as that would relevantly allow them to own some amount of experience in the field they want to excel in. Apart from graduate certificate courses, Australia also provides bachelor’s and master’s degrees in data analytics and data science to propel and become the future data analyst and data scientist.