The world is changing fast, and technology is evolving every day. The two components of today’s fast-paced world are the technological boom and written content. If you have a knack for technical stuff and a passion for writing, then you’re here for a treat because a career in Technical writing is the need of the moment. The requirement for technical writers is soaring, and apart from the skills required to succeed, the field itself is at a competitive advantage. We’ve discussed everything you need to know to get started as a technical writer in this article, along with the top technical writing courses in the Philippines.
Before we jump into all the details about the best technical writing courses in the Philippines, let’s get warmed up with what technical writing exactly is, the roles and responsibilities of a technical writer, and the career scope of the field.
Technical writing essentially is any written communication of technical information. It includes all documentation of complicated technical procedures. Executive summary statements, reports, and briefings. High-tech manufacturing, biotech, engineering, energy, finance, IT, aircraft, and the global supply chain are all technical fields that require technical writing.
Long user manuals are no longer the only format that is used in technical writing. Technical data must be simplified, condensed, and presented, succinctly, and concisely. Technical reports, correspondence, policies, briefings, and press releases are all examples of technical writing.
But What Exactly Does a Technical Writer Do?
The duties and responsibilities of a technical writer vary based on the industry and firm in which they work. They are often seen working on a computer screen, and communicating with technical staff because it is a multidisciplinary field of work. They act as an intermediary between technical staff and non-technical readers.
They build a communications plan in collaboration with these teams. So, technical writers don’t just write. They also comprehend the whole project they are working on, from high-level objectives to execution details.
What Are Some of the Types of Technical Writing Content?
- User Guides and Manuals for End-Users
- Scientific and Medical Papers
- Technical Reports/Technical Documentation
- Emails and other forms of technical marketing communications
- Corporate Technical Reports
- Studies of Feasibility
- White Papers
- Memos on Research Findings
What is the Career Scope in the Technical Writing Profession?
In terms of how we connect with coworkers, clients, and end-users, there’s a significant revolution in the workforce in the last several years. Technology is growing at an exponential rate. The written word has become increasingly important as a result of fewer face-to-face meetings.
This is an ideal platform and time for the profession of technical writing to grow. If you want, to make use of the opportunity of this time, it’s best to consider taking technical writing courses in the Philippines.
The average salary of a technical writer is: 530,939 (PHP)/yr
The average hourly rate is: 255.26 (PHP)/hr
An Ideal Technical Writer Avatar.
The work atmosphere of a highly professional technical writer intrigues even brilliant writers. They consider the peace and tranquillity of the environment to be a true employment benefit. The introverted find being alone energizing are seen with a computer.
They find researching and developing papers through the technical writing process pleasant. An expert in this sector is, unsurprisingly, creative and inquisitive. They’re curious! Leonardo da Vinci is still the most renowned technical writer of all time. According to the legend, he developed ‘user manuals’ for various unique inventions throughout the Renaissance period!
As you have a better comprehension of what technical writing means, consider whether it fits your personality type. When starting a new professional job, it’s a good idea to conduct a self-assessment and think about your unique skills and talents.
Recommended Read: Digital Marketing Courses in the Philippines
Technical Writing Requires Certain Skills
Do you have them or are you willing to gain them? You’ll need to perfect and master a basic set of skills if you want to be a good technical writer and establish yourself as an expert. These are among the most important skills for excellence in a technical writing career:
One of the first steps in the technical writing process is doing research. After you’ve been given an assignment, you’ll be in charge of gathering data and converting it into useful information.
Understanding the Perception of the Audience
The technical data you collect and analyze must be structured for reader interest, comprehension, and perception. Technical writers are frequently given the task of conveying and presenting highly technical information to non-technical audiences. As a result, one of the first steps in the most efficient and advanced writing process is to carefully analyze your audience to match the material to their demands.
To be a good technical writer, you must have a good hold over your communication skills, since You’ll very certainly be working with several teams and people in various positions.
You must comprehend the technical aspects and concepts of the information you’re writing about. If your background is technical and is trying to write, the writing process is slightly simpler. It might be more challenging if you have a writing background and are trying to understand technical topics.
Your documents will be simple to read and error-free if you have excellent writing abilities.
Designing a Document
You may be in charge of adding visuals to your work. The graphics should help the reader understand and digest the information. In technical reports, graphics, tables, & charts are prevalent.
Knowledge of Digital Tools
During the process of writing, technical writers must now employ a variety of tools. This frequently extends beyond simple text editors. Technical writers must be able to draw and annotate photos and screen grabs, as well as retrieve data from Excel and present it in tables and charts.
User Research and Testing
This may be required for some types of technical writing. Example: A printed guide directing engineers on how to repair a malfunctioning device on an ocean depths oil rig.
What Are the Responsibilities of a Technical Writer?
The following are the main responsibilities of technical writers:
- Collaborate with many departments to gain a thorough understanding of an ongoing project.
- Conducts research, develops, edits, and creates new project material.
- Interacts with project developers & specialists independently to acquire needed data.
- Writes project specs, documentation, and how-to manuals based on the information acquired.
- Recommends improved data collection options
- Formats prepared guides and materials in a variety of ways to maximize their utility and usability
Preferred Qualifications for a Technical Writing Job
- A bachelor’s degree in a technical field.
- Certified in technical writing through a course
- 1-2 years of demonstrated technical background
- Capable of learning and adapting to a complicated working environment
- Technical documentation writing abilities
- Written and vocal English skills
- Communication skills
Now That You Know About Technical Writing and Its Career Scope, Here’s a list of the Top 7 Technical Writing Courses in the Philippines.
1. IIM skills
IIM skills are leading in the field of online education as one of the topmost professional courses service providers. The technical writing course at IIM skills is one of the topmost technical writing courses in the Philippines.
The Benefits of the Technical Writing Course
A guaranteed Internship of 30 days is provided
- Get access to lifetime support
- You’ll also learn to develop your portfolio for a freelance career or a job.
- You’ll publish your first white paper.
- You’ll also publish a scholarly article or a chapter of a book
- You will publish your first technical blog
- Certification to validate your skillset
The key features of the technical writing course at IIM skills are:
- Learning through a practical-based approach
- It is a tool-driven course
- Lifetime access to the course is provided
Through this course, you can straight away start developing skills, as follows:
- Ability to create compelling and concise technically written documents after conducting an audience analysis
- Recognition of different forms of technical communication and selection of the most relevant format to describe the technical information.
- Ability to explain complex technical information easily and lucidly, which is understandable to a common man.
- Polishing the technical writing skills with the end-user/audience in mind.
- Adhering to the best industry practices and avoiding common pitfalls.
- Creation of visually appealing reports and documents by incorporating design, charts, graphs, and elements and enhancing reader experience.
Technical Writing Courses in the Philippines Modules
Module 1: Introduction – basics of technical writing and the importance of a technical writer in an organization
Module 2: How to write technical information: It includes audience analysis, research, writing, and competitor analysis.
Module 3: Content curation – Flow charts, schematics, infographics, MS Visio, MS Project, and other open-source content.
Module 4: Technical report – using styling techniques
Module 5: White papers/Journals – the method of writing one’s technical articles, journals, papers, and scientific research articles.
Module 6: DDLC and versioning – learning to version a document and introduction to the tool git for versioning
Module 7: Conversational writing – micro-content and conversational writing
Module 8: Reviewing and publishing: stages of the reviewing and publishing and the tools used.
Module 9: API Documentation using XML – XML authoring essentials
Module 10: Datasheets, application notes, and user manuals – a case study of Infineon
Module 11: Effective writing – Basics of grammar, punctuation, and formatting.
Module 12: Medical writing – Medical blogs and medical writing
Module 13: A case study of application notes from texas – Anchors
A plethora of tools, important for technical writing is also included in the course, for example, MS Visio, MS Project, MS excel, Git, Scribus, and many more.
Other Professional Courses conducted at IIM SKILLS
Also Read: IIM Skills Technical Writing Course Review
2. Mapua University
Mapa CCESC, founded in 1986, offers Curriculum Integrated Programs (CIP) as well as Continuing Professional Education (CPE), making it well renowned for lucrative technical writing courses in the Philippines that are the best of its kind. Today, any organization’s competitive edge is enhanced by accessibility to precise, relevant, and usable information.
The technical writer, who is entrusted with communicating technical knowledge in a way that is understandable and valuable to the intended readers, is at the core of information management. Such data is now critical in the organization’s decision-making process. The technical writing courses in Philipines at Mapua University encourage a thorough awareness of the fundamentals of technical writing.
Technical Writing Courses in the Philippines Content
- Differences in speaking and writing
- Myths around writing
- Technical writing’s Importance
- The price of sloppy writing
- What does technical writing entail?
- Technical writing examples
- The subject material expert and technical writing (SME)
- The fundamentals of technical writing
- know who you’re talking to
- write with a goal in mind
- create a draught
- examine and make changes to the draught
Technical publications that are commonly used
- Reports on current events
- Meetings’ minutes
- Reports on incidents
- Manuals for users
- Grammar is emphasized, including exercises and frequent grammatical errors.
- Persuade your reader
TalkShop is a government-approved learning and development center and one of the top technical writing courses in the Philippines in terms of its quality. Talkshop’s Technical Writing course can help you improve your writing skills to a professional level. The course will walk you through the many approaches that can increase your writing ability to demonstrate communication excellence, whether you need to compose essays or speeches.
What you’ll learn in the course:
- How to spot common grammatical errors in everyday writing
- How to tell the difference between grammatical exceptions and common misunderstandings?
- How to use proper scientific formats in writing essays, publications, and other documents
- How to write professional correspondence which embodies communication excellence
The Benefits of Taking the Course Are:
- Better communication standards and writing skills
- More credibility and status are connected with complex composition and tone
- More certainty and productivity in producing business communications
- Lower effort when proofreading and rewriting technical documents.
The Method of Course Delivery Is as Follows:
TalkShop employs Integrated Language Teaching as a method of instruction. This indicates that the facilitator-led talks account for 30% of the course, whereas the interactive learning experience accounts for 70%.
- Sessions of free writing
- Guided Writing Exercises
- Reading Exercises
- Brainstorming Workshops and sessions
- Group Discussion
- Speech Development and Delivery
Recommended Read: Technical Writing Courses in Frane
4. The Guthrie-Jensen University
It is known for the participatory method and involvement of students in the learning experience and has the most credible technical writing courses in the Philippines. The program of technical writing is intended for managers, supervisors, writers, and staff whose role is to create valuable reports of technical information for use by the organization and end-users.
The Course Features Are:
- The program’s goal is to improve participants’ ability to convert technical material into user-friendly papers.
- Learning to understand the significance of clarity, concreteness, coherence, and conciseness in technical documents.
- Learning to create reports (status, progress, or suggestion reports), manuals, and proposals.
- Learning to use the software that is adapted to the institution’s report types.
5. The Asian Institute of Journalism and Communication (AIJC)
Course Name: Technical writing and editing training
The online course is meant to improve participants’ writing and editing abilities so they can write technical documents that communicate the content. It mixes lectures with writing activities, output critique, and mentoring to ensure that the skills learned are applied.
The course is designed for anyone responsible for reviewing and editing terms of reference, conceptual notes, white papers, or other comparable publications for internal or external readers.
Technical Writing Courses in the Philippines Modules
- Module 1: Efficient and Unambiguous Writing Principles
- Module 2: Sample Technical Documents Contents, Style, and format
- Module 3: Editing Principles
- Module 4: Developing Effective Presentation Materials
Methodologies for Teaching
- Class discussion
- Participant interaction
- Output presentations
- Personalized exercises
- Output evaluation
Advantages of Taking the Course
Participants will be able to:
- Apply clear and effective writing principles learned in the course to the manuscripts and white papers they work on.
- In terms of format and material, students will be able to differentiate Terms of Reference from Conceptual Papers, White papers, and Project Proposals.
- Recognize and apply fundamental editing concepts;
- Execute editorial adjustments in manuscripts while keeping coherence and style, and
- Exhibit expertise in creating presentation materials.
6. The Ateneo de Manila University
The Ateneo de Manila is a public university in Manila, Philippines, and one of the most renowned technical writing courses in the Philippines.
Course Name: Technical Writing Skills: Taking Your Written Outputs to the Next Level
The Students Learn in Technical Writing Courses in the Philippines
- Describe technical writing, along with its various forms and applications
- Analyze good technical writing in terms of clarity, preciseness, ease of access, precision, and audience awareness
- write more efficient and purposeful technical documents
1st Session: Technical Writing Fundamentals (A)
- Definition and Rationale for Technical Writing
- Technical Writing vs. Other Writing Types
- Clarity, succinctness, access, correctness, and audience awareness are various attributes of high-impact technical writing.
- Grammar and Usage Refresher
Session 2 – Technical Writing Fundamentals B:
Technical Writing Forms and Formats A:
- Characteristics of High-Impact Writing
- Grammar and Usage Refresher
- Proposals and Recommendations in Technical Writing
Session 3 – Technical Writing Forms and Format B
- Technical Writing: Informative Articles (Progressive/Periodic)
- Investigative Reports: Technical Writing (Incidents, Case Studies)
Session 4 Forms and Formats of Technical Writing C
- Instructions and manuals are examples of technical writing.
- Policies and Procedures Technical Writing
- Others (as suggested by participants)
Recommended Read: Technical Writing Courses in Bangladesh
7. Henry Harvin
The course develops specialist composition skills that are necessary for disseminating information obtained through a loop of specialized or test work. The components of the course determine the amount of information in the language and concepts presented.
You’ll learn how to write a variety of specialty reports, such as lab work, research papers, progress reports, planning and plausibility reports, and counseling reports, among others. The course also covers a few linguistic, style, design, and content challenges that you may encounter while presenting the results of your research. Its extensive curriculum and exciting project-based learning make it one of the most renowned technical writing courses in the Philippines.
- 9 Courses in One
- 32 hours of training in a live interactive online classroom
- Projects involving Documentation Systems,
- Technical Writing Computer Software and more are available.
- Internship Assistance with internships to obtain practical experience with the learning experience
- 100% Placement Support is guaranteed for 1-Year after successful completion
- E-Learning Access with Ample Tools and Methods, video content, exams, and more.
- Free access to hackathons and competitions are provided
- 1-year gold membership is given
Technical Writing Courses in the Philippines Modules
- Module 1: Technical Writing Fundamentals
- Module 2: Documentation Process
- Module 3: Technical Writing Method
- Module 4: Grammar & Editing
- Module 5: Software Tools
- Module 6: Technical Document Components
- Module 7: Techniques of Technical Writing
- Module 8: How to Develop a Technical Report Template
- Module 9: Technical Document Format Overview
- Module 10: Advanced Technical Writing Resources and tools
Complimentary Module 1: Soft skills Development And training
Complimentary Module 2: Resume Writing
- The career benefits of taking a technical writing course from henry Harvin are:
- Become eligible to write a flawless thesis, scientific papers, and technical content
- Open the doors to employment opportunities abroad that need expertise
- Fill the shortfall of thousands of unfilled high-paying technical writing jobs due to a talent shortage
- Get promoted in your present position using the most in-demand expertise
- Stand out during interviews for jobs from your peers
- Earn the prestigious ‘Certified Technical Writer’ (CTW) certification.
- Improve your CV and LinkedIn profile with professional advancement by adding the Seal of international Credential CTW Professional next to your name on your business card.
1. Is technical writing a viable profession?
Technical writing is a fantastic way to write and be paid for it, but only if you can adapt to the demands of this rapidly evolving area. Some people shift to technical writing with ease, while others struggle.
2. How can I get started as a technical writer if I have no prior experience?
You’ll need to take courses to develop writing abilities if you want to become a technical writer without any expertise. Courses can be offline or online, but they will be required for anybody looking to further their knowledge.
3. What does a job description for a tech writer involve?
Prepare, evaluate, update, and maintain technical papers such as software and systems engineering, testing, system operations, and user documentation included in technical writing. To report new or changing product capabilities, collect and evaluate technical & product information from a wide range of sources.
Every written communication of technical knowledge is referred to as technical writing. It contains all paperwork about complex technological operations. Technical writers typically have to communicate highly technical information to non-technical audiences. You must have outstanding writing and communication abilities to be a successful technical writer. Technical writers should be able to draw and comment on pictures and screen grabs and also extract and display data from Excel in graphs and figures.
Technical writers have tremendous opportunities for career growth given the technological advancement and the increasing importance of the written word in the trending content industry. However, conducting a self-assessment and considering your unique abilities and qualities is a wise decision. If you conclude that technical writing is the best for you, then assessing the technical writing courses in the Philippines, and opting for one based on your needs can be one of the best decisions made.