Are you an engineer, a researcher, or someone who is working in some kind of technical role and looking to share your technical knowledge with the world through writing? Are you an aspiring writer looking to pursue a career in technical writing but not sure how to get started.
This article will help you understand the fundamentals of technical writing and the importance of online technical writing courses. This will also provide you with a list of top online technical writing courses that will help you get proficient in technical writing.
People Also Read:
Definition of Technical Writing
Technical writing is the practice of communicating complex technical information in the form of simple writing that can be understood by any reader. Examples of technical writing are user manuals, instructional materials, etc.
Traditionally, technical writing was limited to user manuals. Thanks to technology, technical writing has evolved with time. Today technical writing includes documentation of technical processes in the form of reports, briefs, summary statements, product descriptions and specifications, and many more. Technical writing is used in technical fields such as engineering, information technology, manufacturing, medical, aerospace, biotech, supply chain, energy, and chemical, etc.
Who is a Technical Writer?
Technical writing is usually done by professionals known as technical writers. It is the job of the technical writer to convey complex technical information to the intended readers in the clearest and most effective way. Their job depends on the type of industry and the company they are employed with.
Technical writing must be concise, error-free, and must focus on the target audience. So it is imperative that technical writers must master the art of technical writing. Technical writers must know how to communicate highly detailed technical information in a simple and readable manner without using overly technical phrases.
For instance, if a user manual of equipment sounds too technical, the user would rather ask someone how to use the equipment than go through the whole manual himself because it would be too frustrating for the user to read and understand with all the technical phrases thrown into the manual.
A technical writer must be aware of his or her target audience and their behavior. Technical writing plays a significant role in marketing any products like software, applications, machinery equipment, etc. Technical writing is a form of marketing where you are showcasing your products through your writing with the intention to sell.
A particular product can only cater to a particular set of audiences, not everyone. So it is important that when you market your product you must know who your target audience is. This is the reason technical writers must work with the marketing team to develop a communication strategy to effectively communicate the product to the target audience through their writing.
Technical writers are in high demand across the globe. It is one of the sought-after skills in the professional world. Any company that brings out its products needs technical writers to make things simple for its customers. The demand for technical writers has grown exponentially in the last few years.
This is because the number of tech companies and startups is increasing. This has resulted in the rise in technological and scientific products. According to monster.com, the median technical writer’s salary is $33.68 per hour.
The demand is expected to grow faster than the average for all other occupations in the coming years. If you are looking to become a successful technical writer, then here is a list of top online technical writing courses that can guide you to carve a niche for yourself as a technical writer.
Top 10 Online Technical Writing Courses
1. IIM Skills
IIM Skills is a renowned content writing institution located in New Delhi, India. IIM Skills offers one of the best online technical writing courses in India that helps aspiring technical writers and technical professionals to build a successful career in technical writing.
IIM Skills offer a comprehensive technical writing course that is detailed and well structured. They understand the importance of effective communication in the corporate world. That is why their course is tailored to benefit professionals like engineers, researchers, marketers, copywriters, and professionals from other sectors as well.
- IIM Skills online technical writing courses provide you with full-fledged practical training in converting complex technical information into simplified, readable documents that are easy to understand by any reader.
- By learning technical writing from IIM Skills, you can master the art of technical writing which can boost your professional career ahead.
- IIM Skills have top mentors, who have years of experience under their belt who are highly knowledgeable in the technical writing field.
- You get lifetime access to all the latest content related to technical writing, which can be accessed anytime anywhere.
- They provide practical assignments to help you be industry-ready.
- After the completion of the course, you get a master’s certificate along with an option to apply for an internship.
- IIM Skills provide global placement assistance across 30+ countries.
The course consists of 5 weeks of live online training, which includes 20 hours of lectures and 60+ hours of practical assignments.
Other Courses offered by IIM Skills:
Coursera is an American-based online course provider. Coursera collaborates with universities and organizations to provide online education. Coursera offers online technical writing courses which is a part of the English for Research Publication Purposes Specialization. This course teaches you how to communicate complex technical information gained through technical or experimental work in a way that a reader can comprehend.
The degree of technicality of the languages and their concepts are important to Coursera. You will learn how to write a variety of technical reports, including laboratory reports, research reports, progress reports, and consulting reports, among others. You will learn how to deal with a variety of language structures, styles, and content issues that can arise when reporting results.
- Coursera platform offers flexible deadlines and the option to reset deadlines according to your schedule.
- Coursera offers a certificate upon completion of the technical writing course.
- The course is completely online, which allows you to learn at your convenience.
- Provide quizzes and feedback for assignments.
- Training is provided by Experts from the Moscow Institute of Physics and technology.
The online technical writing courses can be started instantly as it is an online learning format and consists of approximately 19 hours of training sessions.
Udemy is an American-based online course provider for professional adults and students. Udemy is connected with popular brands like Adidas, Eventbrite, booking.com. Udemy’s online technical writing courses are designed to help you become a profitable, reliable, and successful technical writer.
Udemy helps you earn more and grow your business through their technical courses. The course is detailed, which will guide you to write effectively, quickly, and accurately, which also improves the fundamentals of the English language in depth. The trainer Joseph Phillips has a unique approach that he has developed over the past twenty years.
- This technical writing course provides a certificate after completion of the course.
- The student gets lifetime access to Udemy’s learning content.
- You can access the learning content on TV or Mobile.
- Udemy’s technical writing curriculum is organized and well structured.
The technical writing course consists of 5.5 hours of on-demand video that includes 10 sections, 60 lectures.
4. Techwriter Certification
Techwriter Certification will help you build a successful career in technical writing. This training course will also sharpen your writing and communication skills. This online technical writing institute has different certifications. The basic certificate course is designed for someone who lacks experience in the field, someone seeking to develop their technical and communication skills. Then there is a certificate in writing for current technical writers.
This course is suited for those already in the technical writing field. It assists individuals who want to learn documentation and other technical communication positions. There is also a career builder certificate available for those who are serious about pursuing a career in technical writing.
- You can earn an accredited university certificate in technical writing.
- Anyone aspiring to develop their technical language and communication skills can benefit from this course.
- Someone looking to advance in the documentation and other technical communication can also benefit from this course.
- An instructor-led training program is provided.
- You learn from highly qualified industry practitioners and technical writing faculty with 20+ years of training experience.
- Someone with no experience in the technical writing field can benefit from the training.
The course consists of 3 months of training with 6 – 8 hours per week.
5. Google Technical Writing Course
Google, the largest search engine on the world wide web is a technology company based in the United States that offers internet-related services and products. Google offers various online professional courses on its platform; online technical writing courses are the most popular. This technical writing course is designed for professional software engineers, computer science students, and technical roles.
This course will help individuals improve their technical documentation. Google has two learning components, pre-class which introduces topics, and in-class, which allow you to practice those topics. It is important to note that this course focuses on technical writing, not on general English or business English.
- Google’s technical writing course is free.
- The courses are fun, informative, and valuable for those who seek to gain basic knowledge of technical writing.
- To join the virtual classes, all you need is a google account. You can access the training sessions through Google Meet.
- Thousands of Google’s own software engineers have taken this course.
- At the end of each level, there are exercises that allow you to test yourselves.
Google’s technical writing course is divided into two levels. Technical writing one and technical writing two, which takes roughly 4 hours.
Technokraft is a technical writing training center located in Bangalore, India. Technokraft was started as a training hub to provide classroom training in technical writing to students. Now they have started offering online technical writing courses as well. Technokraft also provides classroom training in Instructional design which is apparently the first in India.
This online technical writing institute has trained thousands of students and working professionals helping them learn the skills necessary in technical writing and explore more opportunities in their careers. You will be trained to break down complex data into simple sentences. The training helps you understand a product or a subject clearly and convey their understanding to their end-users in simple words.
- The technical writing course emphasizes English language usage and grammar.
- You can improve your communication, visualization, and presentation skills.
- Boosts their analytical thinking and reasoning.
- You will learn time management.
- You will be given assignments after each module.
- Mock interviews and evaluation exams will be conducted to prepare you for jobs.
- You will be awarded a certificate after completion of the course.
- Tools like Adobe, MS, HTML are used during the course of the training.
Course duration: 144 hours
7. Henry Harvin
Henry Harvin is an Edutech company based in Noida, India. Henry Harvin offers both online and offline certification and diploma programs for students as well as working professionals. The company provides training to a number of colleges, institutions, corporates, and government organizations. The online technical writing institute provides online technical writing courses that teach how to transform complex technical information into technical documentation and guides.
The training helps you to compose lab reports, progress reports, research reports in a well-structured manner. The course also prepares you for writing a thesis, research papers, and technical content with accuracy. The course is designed by industry experts with 15+ years of working experience.
- You have the opportunity to work on projects in the documentation process, as well as use technical writing software tools.
- Henry Harvin offers internship assistance for practical exposure.
- Certification is offered after successful completion of the course.
- They also provide placement assistance for 1 year.
- E-learning access to video content.
- You can also get 1 year Gold membership of the henry Harvin writing academy.
- They also conduct regular boot camps for 1 year and free access to Hackathons.
Course duration :
Henry Harvin provides 32 hours of live online interactive training sessions.
8. Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning (SCDL)
Ranked 1st among the top distance learning B-schools in India, Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning has provided education to major corporations like Airtel, Bajaj, HCL, Cognizant, IBM, Wipro, Vodafone, Wall-mart, Tata, etc. SCDL prepares you to be specialists in technical writing through their Postgraduate diploma course in technical writing in Business Management.
This online technical writing institute aims to train you in theoretical and practical aspects of technical writing. The course focuses on producing industry-ready technical writers who can break down complex technical instructions into simple readable documents for the end-user. The trainers provide interactive sessions through online chats & online classrooms allowing you to interact with faculty. The program will include computer-based assignments and computer-based examinations that will allow you to decide the pace of the study.
- SCDL is AICTE approved distance learning center that gives more value to your certification.
- The technical writing course will focus on technical communication and English grammar.
- You will learn various technical communication tools and research methodology.
- You are introduced to creative writing for business communication.
- A certificate in the form of a postgraduate diploma in technical writing is awarded to you after completion.
- SCDL provides Interactive E-learning modules and has an E-library facility.
- They also provide a placement facility
Course duration: Two years.
9. Linkedin Learning
Linkedin learning, formerly known as Lynda.com is an American online course provider. Linkedin Learning provides online training in business, creative, and technology fields taught by industry experts. Linkedin learning’s technical writing course is a beginner and intermediate level course. The course is led by instructor Leslie O’Flahavan who is an online writing expert who specializes in improving the quality of customer service on an organizational level.
Throughout the course, the instructor discusses the components of technical writing, best writing practices, and an overall strategy for creating a quick start guide that assists readers in finding answers to their questions.
- The beginner-level technical course will aid those who are new to the technical writing field and are looking to start a career in technical writing.
- The curriculum is designed in such a way that it will help you write any technical documents accurately.
- Linkedin learning offers a free one-month trial to give you a brief idea of what the course covers.
- You will also be provided with transcripts and practical assignments to help them assess their understanding of the domain.
- Certification is awarded to you after completion of the course.
Course duration: 1 hour
10. Information developers
Information developers is an offline & online technical writing institute located in India. They have been mentoring in the field of technical writing for more than 10 years. The tutors of Information developers are well experienced in technical writing. Information developers offer technical writing courses in different modules like Technical writing workshops, API documentation, Learning DITA, Agile Docs. This course covers everything about technical writing in 15 sections.
- You are provided with reference materials and practical assignments to help them understand the concepts easily.
- A certificate will be awarded after completion of the exam.
Frequently Asked questions
- What is the purpose of technical writing?
The purpose of technical writing is to break down complex technical information into simple words that can be easily understood by readers, regardless of whether the reader has any knowledge of the topic or not. Technical writing should be able to communicate the instructions correctly and clearly. Technical writers should write keeping their audience in mind.
2. Should I go for a degree or certification in technical writing?
A technical writing degree course would take a year or 2 to complete. If you have time and money, then definitely go for it. However, a technical writing degree or certificate is not a must to get a job in technical writing. Try to learn about technical learning as much as you can and focus on building a strong portfolio that demonstrates your knowledge and skills.
3. I don’t have any background in technology or writing. Should I still take up the course?
Most technical writers do not have any technical background or any writing experience. You should take up the course if you like writing in different languages, or you are tech-savvy and love gadgets or you’re a problem solver and keen on figuring out how things work. More importantly, if you want to build a career in technical writing, then you must definitely go ahead and take up the course.
4. What is the average technical writer’s salary in India?
According to PayScale, the average technical writer’s salary in India is Rs 505,237/year.
This is the list of the top 10 online technical writing courses in 2022. If you are looking to build a career in technical writing but don’t know where and how to get started, this list will be your guide. It will help you decide which course provider you should opt for. As the world of technology keeps expanding, the demand for technical writers keeps rising.
Every tech company across the globe is hiring technical writers to serve their customers better. The tech company is looking to leverage the skills and knowledge of technical writers to market their products in a better way and reach their target audience. So it is imperative for you and aspiring technical writers to be able to write technical documents, reports, and user manuals, accurately and effectively and provide quality content in a simple readable manner.
Signing up for any of the online technical writing courses from the above-mentioned online technical writing institutes would be your best bet. Taking online technical writing courses will help you understand the concepts of technical writing thoroughly and help you master the art of technical writing. Completing the course in technical writing will increase your job prospects and will aid in building a successful career in technical writing. So go ahead, go through their website and their curriculum and choose the one that checks all your boxes.