Malaysia is known for some of the best universities which offer financial, economic, engineering, and cultural studies degrees. Under its Shared Prosperity Vision 2030, the developing country is working towards building a balanced economic infrastructure and innovation. The present scenario has forecasted the creation of over 2,00,000 new jobs in the financial sector itself. Investment Banking is one of the best career lines to pursue worldwide for students just entering the economic world. Read ahead to learn about the best Investment Banking Courses in Malaysia.
Table of Content
- What is Investment Banking, and what is the role of an Investment Banker?
- Job Opportunities for Investment Bankers
- Types of Investment Banks
- Investment Banking in Malaysia
- Islamic banking in Malaysia
- Why should you pursue Investment banking courses in Malaysia?
What is an Investment Banking Course, and What is the Role of an Investment Banker?
Investment Banking can be understood most simply as the management of a person’s, organization’s, or even a government’s investment portfolio. It involves giving financial advice to clients regarding the market scenario. It involves all operations performed to help a client’s economic growth. Investment Bankers analyze the market to make the best deals for their clients and also perform the functions listed below:
1. Raising capital for the business through debt funding(loan) or equity funding(shares).
It means that the Investment Bankers will be liable to guide the company in obtaining equity or debt funding with the highest long-term benefits or, in the latter option, making the company go public through IPO Underwriting.
2. Assisting the companies in prospective business mergers, acquisitions, and sales.
Investment Bankers must study all the financials of any deal on the table. They are required to analyze and discover any profit or loss their client may incur in a deal. They are required to study the present market scenario to forecast any future trends and make plans accordingly to continue serving the for-profit objective of their client. They are responsible for identifying any risks that may arise before, during, or after a project undertaken by the client.
3. Managing the Investment Portfolio
A company may also engage in share trading. An Investment Banker ensures that the company adheres to all the guidelines and rules of the market authority and the country’s laws while trading and also manages and grows their investments.
4. Business Consultancy
The job of an Investment Banker also requires him or her to advise the company to make any decisions regarding the structuring of the company to contribute to its financial growth.
Taking up an Investment Banking course helps the students grasp all the minute workings of the career they are aiming for. It will also add to their resume and may give them a leg up over the applicants with a general Banking and Finance degree.
Job Opportunities for Investment Bankers
For all the aspirants of Investment Banking, it is important to understand the jobs that open up to you as you pursue a career in Investment Banking. It is important to understand that while each portfolio enables the aspirant a higher pay bracket, only those who have the capabilities to function in this environment make it big. These jobs and the roles that Investment Bankers fulfill depend on the institutions that create these jobs.
1. Sell-side Banks
Companies prefer to sell stocks and bonds through the channel of the sell-side banks. As an investment Banker, one’s role would be dependent on having excellent communication skills to be able to sell to prospective buyers to raise money. They may also function in an advisory capacity for market research, asset management, and capital management.
2. Buy-side Institutions
These institutions require individuals who can identify profitable business opportunities on behalf of their corporation clients. During this exercise, the individuals must identify all the risks associated with the prevalent market, credit, and operational scenario of the corporations. These buy-side institutions include Insurance Companies, Hedge Funds, and private equity funds
Corporations may offer employment to in-house analysts for consultations regarding mergers and acquisitions, budgeting, and risk management. Investment bankers must have exceptional communication skills to handle investor relations for their corporation.
4. Professional Services Firm
Today, we also have service sector firms operating on a huge scale. These companies hire Investment Bankers to tackle market risks, asset valuation and general operational advisory.
Must Check The Best: Investment Banking Skills
Types of Investment Banks
Investment Banks are classified according to the size of their firm, geographical reach, and the financial brackets of the deals they can bring in.
1. Boutique Banks
Divided into Regional and Elite Boutique Banks, these Investment Banks specialize in limited areas of Investment Banking, for example, equity funds management; The differentiation between Regional and Elite Boutique Banks is that the Regional Boutique Banks are restricted to a smaller geographical area which times may be as small as a single town. When a Regional Boutique Bank increases its operations in terms of workforce, area, and deal size, it may evolve into an Elite Boutique Bank.
An Elite Boutique Bank has a larger workforce, handles more funds, and operates in a larger area than a Regional Boutique Bank. In fact, it is more similar to Bulge Bracket Banks than to Regional Boutique Banks.
2. Middle Market Banks
These Banks’ operating capacity exists between Boutique Banks and Bulge Bracket Banks. Middle Market Banks can have multiple offices in a country and may also handle all investment banking services for wealthy clients.
3. Bulge Bracket Banks
These Investment Banks have a Client List that includes many Multinational Corporations and may also have Fortune 500 companies as their clients. These Banks also have branches internationally and are the Investment Banks that operate at the highest level.
Investment Banking in Malaysia
Malaysia is the 36th largest economy in the world and has one of the lowest official unemployment rates in the world at 3.9%. Even now, the country is developing rapidly to create even more jobs for its citizens in all sectors including Banking. Thus, Investment Banking has become a highly profitable profession with superior investment banking courses being offered by world-class Malaysian Universities.
Bank Negara Malaysia is the prime regulatory body for all banking institutions including Investment Banks in Malaysia. All investment banks must acquire a license from the central bank to engage in their operations.
Pursuing investment banking courses in Malaysia will help the students study the ins and outs of the Malaysian Economic Laws and system as they aspire to begin their investment banking careers in the country. Under these laws, a functioning bank may be incorporated under any of these 3 acts.
- Financial Services Act 2013
- Islamic Financial Services Act 2013, and
- Central Bank of Malaysia Act 2009
Malaysia’s Banking sector is a booming industry. Vision 2020 and Shared Prosperity Vision 2030, is creating multiple jobs in each sector. Some of the major banks of the country are:
- KAF Investment Bank
- HSBC Bank Malaysia Berhad
- Maybank Investment Bank
- RHB Bank
- Alliance Bank Malaysia Berhad
- United Overseas Bank
Though the Investment Banks in Malaysia do not have a uniform recruitment process, the applicants go through a general aptitude test, group discussion, technical knowledge, and personal interaction rounds.
Malaysia is a great location for a job in Investment Banking due to English being a widely spoken language throughout the country. The promotion of ethical workforce policies may also be a deciding factor for the same.
Islamic Banking in Malaysia
Officially, more than half of Malaysia’s population follows Islam. As such they have also adopted a strong Islamic Banking centre and laws that govern it. In spirit of the parallelly existing banking systems, universities in Malaysia also offer courses in Islamic Banking and Finance which expands the job supply pool for aspiring investment bankers. Some of the top Islamic Banks in Malaysia are:
- Alliance Islamic Bank Berhad, a principal subsidy of Alliance Bank Malaysia Berhad
- Al Rajhi Bank Malaysia
- Bank Islam Malaysia Berhad
- CIMB Islamic Bank
- Hong Leong Islamic Bank Berhad
Why Should You Pursue Investment Banking Courses in Malaysia?
Students may apply for jobs in Malaysian Investment banks through their respective websites. The Investment Banks also hold placement interviews at many universities. Thus, students pursuing Investment Banking courses in Malaysia have an edge over external aspirants.
Many of the best universities offering investment banking courses in Malaysia are situated in its capital city, Kuala Lumpur. This is an added benefit as Kuala Lumpur is also becoming a trending location for setting up offices for Global banks in addition to the Malaysian Banks.
Being a center for Islamic Banking, Malaysia also becomes a prime location for pursuing an Investment Banking Course as the students have two streams of Banking to choose from.
An Investment Banking career in Malaysia is a mine of opportunities and success. According to the Robert Walters Global Survey 2017, an investment banking professional can earn up to 84 thousand Malaysian Ringgits in their beginning years as analysts, two years of which are also treated as on-the-job training for the professionals by the banks.
Investment Banking Courses in Malaysia To Look Out For:
1. IIM SKILLS
IIM SKILLS is a company dedicated to students and professionals upskilling in their or new fields since 2015. Their faculty is led by experts with over 12 years of experience. They offer an online 3-month Certified Investment Banking Course to students and professionals in finance and related fields. The Certified Investment Banking Course by IIM SKILLS is a recognized course in the industry and can be a launchpad for your illustrious career.
You must check the IIM SKILLS Investment Banking Course Review
Course Name: Certified Investment Banking Master Course
Duration of Course: 3 Months | 70+ Hours Lectures
Internship: 1 month guaranteed internship
Mode of Study: Online Instructor-led classes
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Fundamentals of Financial System and Market
- Derivatives Market
- Technicals of Investment Banking
- Different Marketing Collaterals
- Technicals of Financial Modeling
- Business Valuation
- Program based on real case studies
- Fees may be paid in simple EMI Instalments
- Offers Resume & Interview Preparation
- Real-time exposure to share and stock exchange
Certification: Certificate issued after successful completion of the course
Fees: INR 39,900 + 18% GST
Contact: Phone- +91 9580740740
Must Check Here The Best:
- Investment Banking Courses in India
- Investment Banking Courses in Canada
- Investment Banking Courses in the UK
2. Asia School of Business
The Asia School of Business was established in 2015 in collaboration with MIT Sloan. Thus, all its courses include an MIT Sloan immersion program for its students. The Master in Central Banking courses focus on every aspect of central banking along with the best innovations and techniques in the industry. The students will get an on-hands experience in working in teams.
The course is open to all students with a bachelor’s degree in related fields and a CGPA of 2.50 or 2.00 after an internal inquiry. The admissions for the batch of September 2024 are open with the deadline being 29th March 2024, 3:00 PM.
Course Name: Master in Central Banking
Duration of Course: 12 Months
Mode of Study: On-Campus Master’s Program
- Systems Thinking
- Macroeconomic Stability
- Financial Markets
- Financial Stability
- Data and Digital Technology
- Governance and Leadership
- Student Accommodation is provided and is included in the fees.
- A six-week MIT Sloan Immersion Course in Cambridge and in Kuala Lumpur
- Students may apply for financial aid independently
- Includes Insurance for students during the course.
Certification: The Master’s degree awarded by Asia School of Business, a Certificate of Completion by MIT Sloan
Fees: RM 335,000 ( approximately 76,000 USD)
Contact: Telephone- +603 2023 3000, Email- firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Universiti Utara Malaysia
Universiti Utara Malaysia is a public management university situated in Sintok, Kedah, Malaysia, and also a branch campus in Kuala Lumpur. The Master in Islamic Finance and Banking is offered by the College of Business under the Universiti Utara Malaysia. Available since 2012, the program aims to produce highly trained post-graduates for the Islamic Banking Industry.
The year-long program needs the students to earn 42 credit hours of subjects teaching the ins and outs of the Islamic Banking industry. The students may apply for the September 2024 batch through the college website.
Course Name: Masters in Islamic Finance and Banking
Duration of Course: 1 Year
Mode Of Study: On Campus
- Islamic Economics
- Contemporary Islamic Banking
- Islamic Financial Contracts and Maxims
- Deduction Method and Maqasid Shariah
- Student Accommodation is provided.
- Students may apply for financial aid.
Certification: The degree is issued after successful completion of the course
Fees: RM 12,400 for full-time Malaysian Students, RM 3,929 for full-time Students
Contact: Telephone- +604-928 7130 / 7121 / 7120, +604-928 7119 / 7155,
4. University of Nottingham
The University of Nottingham was first started in 1881 and expanded to Malaysia in 2005. This prestigious university campus is self-sufficient and offers high-quality living and state-of-the-art educational facilities to students and faculty. This investment program is focused on the present and evolving banking practices. The Finance and Investment MSc course is one of the top 7 offline investment courses in Malaysia with on-campus studies. This program is offered to students who seek specialization in core financial elements.
Course Name: Finance and Investment MSc
Duration of Course: 1 Year
Mode Of Study: On Campus
- Capital market Analysis
- Corporate Finance
- Quantitative Research Methods for Finance and Investment
- Derivative Investment
- Fixed Interest Investment
- Behavioral Economics and Decision Making
- International Finance
- Research Dissertation
- Access to NUBS Financial Trading Room for expertise development
- This investment banking course is affiliated with the Chartered Financial Analyst Institute University Affiliate Program.
- The students may also apply for scholarships, grants, and financial aid offered by the university.
Fees: RM 48,900 for Malaysian Students, and RM 58,700 for International Students
Contact: Telephone- +603 (0)8924 8000
5. UOW Malaysia KDU University College
UOW Malaysia was brought under the University of Wollongong, Australia in 2019. UOW Malaysia’s Bachelor in Accounting and Finance is an all-around course that educates its students in a 360-degree purview of accounting and finance operations on a global level. The students also gain a legal perspective of the banking sector in Malaysia due to this course program. UOW Malaysia offers its students an unparalleled experience of college life and unique internship and networking opportunities on national and international levels.
Course Name: Bachelor in Accounting and Finance (Hons)
Duration of Course: 3 Years
Internship: Opportunity to earn internships with over 100 companies
Mode of Study: On Campus
- Oral Communication
- Writing and Referencing
- Principles of Economics, Marketing, Management and Finance
- Financial and Management Accounting
- Company and Business law
- Research Methodology and Quantitative Methods
- Accounting Information Systems
- Corporate and International Finance
- Financial Markets and Institutions
- Financial Reporting and Management
- Basic and Advanced Auditing and Assurance
- Investment Analysis
- This Investment Banking Course exempts its graduates from several professional bodies’ papers like ACCA, CPA Australia and CIMA.
- The course has also received validation from MICPA Malaysia
- It offers a Job Shadowing program in Year 2 to give its students a real-world experience.
- This program offers unique simulation training to its students in functioning in the VUCA world.
Fees: RM 77,750 for Malaysian Students and RM 95,380 for International Students
Contact: Phone: +603 5565 0538
Local Enquiry: +6012 236 3602
International Enquiry: email@example.com
- Investment Banking Courses in Colombia
- Investment Banking Courses in Hong Kong
- Investment Banking Courses in Egypt
6. Asian Banking School
The Asian Baking School (ASB) sets the standard for high-quality banking courses in the ASEAN region. The school has partnerships with several world-class educational institutes like the University of London and the University of Cambridge. Besides the offline courses held at the training center in Malaysia, The ASB offers numerous online short-term courses dedicated towards specialization in different branches of Banking and Finance. The online courses are offered on the Frankfurt School e-Campus.
Some of the online Investment banking courses in Malaysia offered by ASB are:
- Blockchain and Decentralised Finance (DEFI)- 8 Hours
- Cryptocurrency: Mechanics, Risk Management and Applications- 8 Hours
- Demystifying Debt Securities Credit Ratings- 8 Hours
- Certified Expert in ESG & Impact Investing- 6 Months
Course Name: Certified Expert in ESG & Impact Investing
Duration of Course: 6 Months
Mode of Study: Online on Frankfurt School E-Campus
- UNIT 1 : Introduction and Overview- ESG Criteria & Impact Investing
- UNIT 2 : Historical and Theoretical Context
- UNIT 3 : Strategies for Measuring & Managing ESG Criteria and its Impact
- UNIT 4 : Integrating ESG and Impact Management in the Investment Process
- UNIT 5 : Specialised Financial Instruments and Legal Contracts in ESG
- UNIT 6 : Ratings, Indicators, Non-Financial Reporting and Data in ESG
- UNIT 7 : Elective Module- Choose from Marketing or Due Diligence
- The ASB is dedicated to bringing quality personnel to the banking sector.
- The ESG & Impact Investing course is formed in collaboration with the Frankfurt School of Finance & Management and a certificate is provided by the latter.
Certification: Yes, Available
Fees: RM 8,500 for AICB Members and EUR 1,700 for International Students
Contact: Phone: +603 2701 7822
7. New York Institute of Finance
The New York Institute of Finance was founded by the New York Stock Exchange and offers various courses for budding bankers. The institute also offers ‘Mock Market’, a simulation trading activity in the exchange itself after trading hours. The Institute offers multiple banking courses at various levels and specializations which are:
- Hedge Funds
- Quantitative Methods
- Alternative Investments
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Regulations and Compliance
- Wealth Management
- Derivatives & Options
- Fixed Income
- Portfolio Management
- Structured Products
The Institute offers Certified Investment Banking Courses in Malaysia due to the permeability of the Internet. The Investment Banking Certification Course is a self-paced 70-hour online course with multiple core and elective courses.
Course Name: Investment Banking Certification
Duration of Course: 70-hour self-paced online certification
Mode Of Study: Online
- Finance of Managers
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Quantitative Methods and Techniques
- Free Cash Flow Modeling
- Essential Skills for Investment Banking and Finance
- Corporate Finance
- Business Valuation
- Mergers & Acquisitions: Advanced Concepts and Theories
- Mergers & Acquisitions: Structuring the Deal
- Hedge Funds and Private Equity
- Portfolio Management
- Mergers & Acquisitions: Advanced Acquisition Modelling
- 2 specialization courses from Capital Markets, Valuation, Fund Management, and Mergers & Acquisitions
- This program is designed to give MBA-level knowledge at a graduate level.
- The self-paced course enables the students to study at their own pace.
- The elective specializations let the students achieve area expertise at an introductory level
Fees: USD 990
Contact: Email- firstname.lastname@example.org
Coursera has innumerable courses on numerous subjects from more than 275 renowned universities throughout the world. The learning platform has a B Corp certification since 2021. Coursera courses are very flexible and designed for working adults to complete on their own time.
In fact, they even offer subject specialization by offering a package of courses to prospective students. Students are able to earn certified training for top-level universities without the lengthy application process. Through these efforts, international universities have been able to provide their investment banking courses in Malaysia.
Each of these courses is of variable fees and duration. Some universities offering investment banking courses in Malaysia through Coursera are:
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Yale University
- Erasmus University Rotterdam
- University of Geneva
- Goldman Sachs
- EDHEC Business School
- New York Institute of Finance
- Columbia University
Course Specialisation: Mergers and Acquisitions
Course Offered by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Duration of Course: 2 Months at 10 Hours a week
Mode of Study: Online
- Finance of Mergers and Acquisitions: Valuation and Pricing- 17 Hours
- Finance of Mergers and Acquisitions: Designing an M&A Deal- 20 Hours
- Accounting for Mergers and Acquisitions: Foundations- 8 Hours
- Accounting for Mergers and Acquisitions: Advanced Topics- 7 Hours
- Investment Banking: Financial Analysis and Valuation- 13 Hours
- Investment Banking: M&A and Initial Public Offerings- 15 Hours
Course Fees: MYR 750
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What jobs can I have in an Investment Banking career?
If you are interested in building a career in Investment Banking, it is necessary to know what jobs and designations you can hold as an Investment Banker:
- Investment Banking Analyst
- Investment Manager
- Financial Advisor
- Risk Manager
- Capital Marketing Operating Consultant
- Investor Relations Associate
- Equity Analyst
- Investment Consultant
- Virtual Investment Banking Assistant
- Investment Writer
2. What are the eligibility requirements for pursuing Investment Banking Courses in Malaysia?
To pursue investment banking courses in Malaysia, you must meet certain eligibility criteria:
- An interest in studying economic and market trends.
- An aptitude for mathematics and accountancy
- Basic English speaking skills
- If applying for a Master’s degree, you must also have a bachelor’s degree in Finance and Banking or related fields.
3. How to decide between offline and online investment banking courses in Malaysia?
While the Internet places innumerable options for investment banking courses in Malaysia, it is important to research from more than one source. While considering your prospective courses, keep in mind the faculty, facilities, location, the subjects offered, need for accommodation, Alumni Network, affordability, availability of the internet, and your chosen career specialization.
The online investment banking courses in Malaysia are visibly affordable and are flexible in timings and give you the ease of studying from home. In contrast, On-Campus courses offer you unique opportunities to be independent and also let you build a lasting network in the banking industry during your time at the campus.
4. What is VUCA?
VUCA was a term coined in 2001. In the ever-changing world scenario, VUCA was an acronym for Volatile, Uncertain, Complex, and Ambiguous. These terms were used to describe the world among the shifting demographics of the world. It is a good option to pursue an investment course in Malaysia despite these conditions as the Banking sector in the country has been forecasted to progress with stable growth.
5. How important are interpersonal skills for Investment Banking?
Very Important. As an Investment Banker, you may work as an Investor Relations Manager which will require you to liaise between your company and the present and prospective investors of the company. You may also be expected to know English to be able to communicate with international clients and investors.
World Economies may rise and fall but the relationships among them will always need management. Banking is the system that fills this responsibility. Investment Banking as a branch has a lot to offer as an Investment Banker can rise to be in a position of importance for his employers as his or her expertise can make or break a corporation. These investment banking courses in Malaysia are beneficial to students because they give them extra credibility for employment in the country. Malaysia is a great location because of the relatively lower cost of living than other ASEAN countries. The several short-term courses in Investment Banking help the students advance their careers on a global level at an affordable cost.