Top 7 Creative Writing Courses in Mumbai With Placement
Mumbai, the finance capital of India is filled with creative people. Artists from all over India live here to fulfill their dreams. As with many art forms, writing has a great scope in Mumbai. The film industry, publishing houses, advertising agencies, and the TV industry look for creative writers in Mumbai. And this post is here to help you with what creative writing is, its importance, and the best courses to master it. The top creative writing courses in Mumbai will teach you all the skills & techniques of creative writing and assist you to escalate your writing career.
Let’s Begin With Understanding What is Creative Writing.
A non-technical kind of writing, called creative writing, allows authors to express themselves artistically while using their imagination and skills. Poetry, scripts, screenplays, fiction, novels, and other forms of writing are included in creative writing. This sort of writing lacks a predetermined structure or genre; instead, it is a modern writing style that allows writers to express their creativity free from restraints.
Types of Creative Writing
Before joining creative writing courses in Mumbai, let’s check out what are the types of creative writing and which interests you the most.
- Poetry– This form of writing doesn’t need any introduction; we have grown up reading poetry. Poetry can be written on any occasion, event, feelings, etc.
- Plays– Plays are intended to be performed live, similar to a script in that the dialogue you create will be repeated by actors. Typically, they include numerous acts, though one-act plays that are only a few minutes long are also common.
- Lyrics– Lyrics are the soul of any song. Poetry and lyrics can take many different forms, however, rhyme schemes of some kind are frequently used.
- Scripts– Another type of creative writing is the creation of scripts for various media, including TV commercials, radio shows, and even movies. The important thing to remember is that your writings write will be read aloud by actors and recorded, regardless of how long they are.
- Memoir– A memoir is a sort of creative nonfiction that analyses an individual’s experiences in his life. It is a longer version of a personal essay or journal. It also covers the emotions and thoughts of a person in addition to the actual events.
- Journals– Journal is a form of writing where you write about your day’s happenings. It is also considered a therapeutic activity. One can write a journal by incorporating his feelings and emotions.
- Personal Essays– Creative writing is not always made up. In actuality, there are several significant genres of creative non-fiction. Another example is the personal essay, in which the author examines their perspectives or life experiences. Although it’s not always easy to write about yourself.
- Blogging– Bloggers publish their content online for their readers on various platforms. Factual blogs are those that include facts, and they hardly ever employ creative writing. On the contrary, blogs that discuss viewpoints or stories heavily rely on creative writing. The critical component of blogs that discuss views and opinions is creative writing. Bloggers include authors, journalists, and famous people who express their opinions.
- Speeches– The majority of any speech, whether it be an informative or inspirational speech, is written by creative writers. With the aid of the specified points, many creative writers write speeches delivered by numerous leaders.
- Fiction– Story, drama, novels, and screenplay are part of fiction writing. Fiction means non-factual. In fiction writing, writers use their imagination to convey a message or entertain people.
Creative Writing Field As A Career
At present, the creative writing sector has enormous opportunities for budding writers. Especially if you are looking forward to making your career in Mumbai, you have many opportunities. Mumbai, the film industry’s center, opens many vacancies for scriptwriters, Copywriters, journalists, public relations executives, editors, cinematographers, etc. every year.
You can also find out opportunities for the same job positions in the advertising, arts, music, journalism, and TV Industries. Consumption of media and arts is rising. and with the OTT platform, it is expected to grow even more in the coming future.
So, as a creative professional, multiple doors will always be opened for you. You just need to brush up on your skills with the changing time. And as a beginner, it is always advisable to learn creative writing from the experts.
Read in detail: Scope of Creative Writing
Creative Writing Skills
- Adaptability– In a writing career, there are times when you get work that is of no interest or you have less knowledge about that topic, for those circumstances a writer needs to be adaptative. Also, the digital marketing world keeps on changing, and to maintain your pace with changing environment, you need to be adaptative.
- Excellent Research Skills– Research is an essential skill required for a creative writer. A flair writer will lack the trustworthiness of their reader if the content is not well researched. To increase credibility, a writer should spend some time researching the topic, they are writing about. You can research your content via both online and offline resources. Read white papers, journals, books, and other reliable sources to conduct your research.
- Knowledge of SEO- Knowledge of SEO is a must for a creative writer if you want to publish your work on a digital platform.
- Communication Skills– You need to be a good communicator to deliver what your reader/client is looking for. Before you start writing, try to understand your client’s purpose and goal and what they what to communicate to their readers with that particular piece of content. Write, proofread, and take reviews of your client, to enhance your write-up.
- Ability to Meet Deadlines– To show your professionalism at work and create a sense of reliability with your client, make your you meet deadlines. For ex- If you have 10 days to write a 3000-word article, divide your number of days for research, outlining the content, writing your article, proofreading and editing, and plagiarism checking. Planning your write-up will help you meet the deadline.
Why You Should Join Creative Writing Courses in Mumbai?
Now the question arises, there are ample amounts of free resources available on the internet then why should you invest in taking a creative writing course? Is it worth It?
The answer to all your questions is
- Not all the resources will guide you to the right path, as a beginner you will face doubts while learning from free sources which will not get cleared unless you learn in live classes or have a mentor to clarify them.
- Creative writing is a skill, it will only enhance by practicing it. But having a mentor to check your learning, and progress and tell you where you are making a mistake always helps.
- Self-learning will take you months and years but if you join a course, you will learn creative writing techniques in a short period.
- If you join a course that offers placement opportunities, you will not have to juggle getting work.
In short, joining a creative writing course will make things easier for you to understand and apply.
Here are a few other courses in Mumbai that could be of your interest.
- Digital Marketing Courses in Mumbai
- Content Writing Courses in Mumbai
- Technical Writing Courses in Mumbai
- GST Certification Courses in Mumbai
- SEO Courses in Mumbai
- Financial Modeling Courses in Mumbai
- Business Accounting and Taxation Courses in Mumbai
- Data Analytics Courses in Mumbai
Eligibility to Join Creative Writing Courses in Mumbai
There are no minimum eligibility criteria to pursue creative writing courses in Mumbai. Even a high school graduate can apply to these courses. But most of the people pursuing creative writing have a bachelor’s degree as their qualification.
Top 7 Trusted Creative Writing Courses in Mumbai
We have picked up some of the best creative writing courses in Mumbai, which will give you a good start to your writing career. Let’s check them out-
1. IIM SKILLS–
IIM SKILLS stood no. 1 in our list of top creative writing courses in Mumbai. Mr. Vaibhav Kakkar, the founder of IIM SKILLS, works on a mission to offer world-class education at pocket-friendly fees. They have expert professionals with a decade of experience in this field.
About Content Writing Course
IIM SKILLS provides a content writing master course. Students looking for a creative writing course can join this course because they cover all the important modules of creative writing in their curriculum.
- Basics of content writing
- Articles, Blogs, and web pages
- Marketing Collaterals
- Content for social media and video scripts
- Creative content writing
- SOP & business listing
- Legal writing
- Technical writing
- Content marketing
- Affiliate marketing
- Freelance Content writing
- Resume writing
Course Duration, Certification & Fees:
- CWMC course is for 1 month (weekend classes) with an optional 3 months internship.
- You need to give an assessment test for the CWMC certificate. This course will also prepare you to appear on the HubSpot certification test.
- Additional certificate and recommendation letter for the students who join the internship.
- Course Fee = 14,900 + GST.
Why IIM SKILLS:
- IIM SKILLS gives a cohesive course in the writing field. If you are indecisive to choose your writing domain, this course will help you decide whether to go for creative writing, content writing, or technical writing.
- You will learn to write SEO-based content.
- You will be given access to their pre-recorded and new lecture videos for a lifetime.
- Placement opportunities for 1 year from joining the course.
- Real-life work exposure with assignments and internships.
- You will learn how to get your 1st book published by the end of the course.
- You will learn tools like keyword planner, kindle, Grammarly, Uber suggest, Plagiarism detector, WordPress, etc.
2. British Council-
The UK-based international organization “British council of India” is a 70-year-old institution that works to provide opportunities in the field of education and maintains cultural relations. British Council is known for its libraries. Before the pandemic, the British council was limited to offline training in three cities- Chennai, Kolkata, and New Delhi, but from the year 2021, they started providing online courses. You can consider taking creative writing courses in Mumbai from this institution.
About the Course
A “creative writing for adults- Module 1” – It is available through the British Council of India. To enroll in this course, students must be at least 18 years old and at an upper-intermediate level.
Course Duration, Certificate, Fees
- This course is for nine weeks and a total of 36 hours.
- Live Weekend classes.
- British Council of India provides this course for 10,000 Rs. Per student.
- !0% discount available for British council library members.
- Dialogue writing
- Poetry and knowledge of tools
- Travel writing
- Fiction writing
- Experimental writing
- How to get your work published?
Why British Council?
- This is a very specific course for creative writing and does not contain modules that are not related to creative writing.
- Interactive classes.
- Experts will give you timely feedback on your assignments and will tell you how you can improve them.
- Trainers will help you find your writing niche.
For more information,
Please contact [email protected]
3. Xavier Institute of Communications-
Xavier institute of communication is a unit of St. Xavier’s college, autonomous. Aspiring writers who want to comprehend the various components of creative writing and learn how to apply them to their writing might benefit from this course.
Course Curriculum– This course is taught by Himali Kothari, who has a decade experience of in taking a writing workshops.
- Writing exercises
- Evaluating writings by seasoned authors
- Evaluating writing by other writers
Course Duration, Eligibility criteria, and Fees
- 2 hours classes for 8 sessions
- Evening batch- 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM
- The eligible age for the course is 18 plus.
- Fees for the course are 8,000 including GST
For more information,
Please contact: [email protected]
4. Sri Aurobindo Centre for Arts and Communications-
Founded in 2003, SACAC is an art & mass communication institute. To create generations of media professionals, SACAC is providing courses and diplomas in advertising, audio engineering, creative documentary, professional photography, etc.
They started this institute by offering offline classes in Delhi. It was 2020 when the pandemic hit the world, and online classes by SACAC came into existence. SACAC also offers Creative writing courses in Mumbai through an online platform.
Course Duration, Certification, and Fees
- This creative writing course is for 3 months.
- Weekend classes are on Saturday evening from 4 PM to 7 PM, and Sunday morning from 10 AM-1 PM.
- Course Fee=23200 (application fee + course fee) + Taxes
- learning to enjoy writing.
- How to use your creativity.
- crucial elements of creative writing.
- Technique and Strategy.
- Where to find ideas
- Building on an idea and constructing a story.
- A Comprehensive strategy to enhance the design and content.
- Imagination in Motion
- utilizing prompts
- Dimension of thought
- many forms of writing
- the growth of characteristics
- Managing creativity
- Developing the writing mindset
- How to Interview Well
- Writing organization
- enhancing communication abilities
- investigating various genres
- improving one’s hearing and using one’s other senses
- Fiction Short Story Feature Writing
- Travel Articles Film Analysis
- Print, television, and online media writing
- Writing instruments and methods
- Writing that is investigative and interpretive
- A script for a documentary
- Editing, Rewriting
- submissions to publications
Why Choose this Course
- This course will help you to build your imagination.
- It will help you improve your communication skills and expressions.
- They keep a small batch size of 25 students to better understand and interact in the class.
Udemy is one of the renowned names in the ed-tech world. They offer free and paid courses in 75 languages globally. They have more than 2 lakh courses on their website and have trained 54 million people worldwide. They have a variety of courses for creative writing as well. We have picked up “secret sauce of great writing” by Shani Raja. You can consider joining creative writing courses in Mumbai at this institute.
The course is divided into 16 lectures in these modules
- How to write
- Writing flair
- Essential components of writing
- Discovery of Sauce
- Power of simple writing
- Exercises for simplicity
- Power of clarity
- Exercises for clarity
- The influence of the style
- Exercises for elegance
- The influence of evoking
Certificates, Time duration, Fees
- The only drawback of this course is you will not get a certificate.
- This course is concise and you will be able to complete this in 44 minutes.
- This course is free.
Why Choose this Course
- The instructor of the course has experience in writing and editing in some of the world’s top news companies.
- The course is concise.
- It is free of cost.
Check out the courses in other growing cities
- Creative Writing Courses in Pune
- Creative Writing Courses in Delhi
- Creative Writing Courses in Bangalore
- Creative Writing Courses in Gurgaon
- Creative Writing Courses in Ahmedabad
Founded in 2012, Coursera is one of the renowned learning platforms. Founders, Daphne Koller and Andrew Ng started Coursera with a vision to transform lives with the help of education. They partnered with 275 Universities & companies to offer courses and degrees via an online platform. They have 107 million learners from different parts of the world.
Coursera offers several creative writing courses in Mumbai. We have picked up the “Creative writing specialization course by Wesleyan University” for you.
- How to craft a plot
- How to craft a character
- Setting and description
- Enhance your writing style
- Your story
Course Duration, Certificates, and Fees
- The Self-paced course is free.
- It is suggested to complete the course in 6 months by spending 1 hour of learning every week.
- Course completion certificate.
Why Choose this Course
- This course is offered by the prestigious Wesleyan University.
- Learners of Coursera have ranked them well.
7. Henry Harvin-
Started in 2013, Henry Harvin provides more than 400 courses related to upskilling and training programs. They provide training to corporates, colleges, and individuals. HenryHarvin provides creative writing courses in Mumbai online. You can completely trust this institute as this is one of India’s beginner players working in the ed-tech space.
- Basics of creative writing
- Literary techniques and elements.
- How to create stories
- Fiction writing
- Poetry writing
- Soft skills training
- How to write a resume
Course Duration, Certificate, and Fees
- The course duration is 24 hours.
- CCWS certificate at the end of the course.
- The fee for the Harley Harvin live course is 12,500
- You can pay the fees in monthly installments of Rs. 1389.
- Fees for the self-paced course are Rs. 11,250
Why Choose Henry Harvin
- Attendees of the course have written good reviews in their testimonials.
- This course and certificate are valued by the industry leaders such as Accenture, IBM, HP, Phillips, etc.
- Placement opportunities for 1 year.
- You will be assigned projects and internship opportunities for practical work exposure.
- 1-year gold membership is the bonus benefit of the course.
For further details,
Please contact [email protected]
Frequently Asked Questions
a) How can I improve my writing skills?
You can improve your writing skills by reading and taking inspiration from other writers, brainstorming, rewriting existing stories, joining a writing community, working on your grammar, and proofreading/ editing skills.
b) What are the 7 elements of creative writing?
Plot, Characters, Characterization, setting, tone, theme, and style of writing are some of the key elements of creative writing.
c) How creative writing is different from content writing?
Creative writing aims to entertain people whereas content writing is written to provide information to the readers. Both writings differ based on their tone of writing, purpose, style, and target audience.
d) What is SEO in writing?
Writing SEO content is the skill of producing interesting, readable content that performs well on search engines.
e) Is creative writing a good career?
From 2016 to 2026, it is anticipated that the employment of writers and authors would increase by 8%, as in any other occupation. And with increasing online services, the demand for creative writers will continue to grow.
Updating your current abilities to survive in the quickly evolving job landscape is crucial. Adding a certificate & a skill to your resume will give you long-term success. We hope this article helped you understand creative writing and find some of the best creative writing courses in Mumbai. The institutes listed above, include details of creative writing, simple recommendations, and techniques that will help you in building your career in this domain. Look over these creative writing courses in Mumbai and determine for yourself, which one best meets your requirement the best.