Are you an aspiring creative writer based in Kolkata? Do you have the imagination and flair for words but don’t know how to channelize this creative gift into a career? Or are you someone who is looking to enhance your creative writing skills further? If you feel that you can relate to any of the above, then you are reading the correct article. Through this article, we will try and cover all the essential aspects of creative writing. From the basics of creative writing, the skills required to be a creative writer, creative writing courses in Kolkatta, industries where you can work as a creative writer, and job portals for creative writing professionals, everything is covered here.
So, First Things First! Let Us Understand What Creative Writing is and Where is It Used.
The term creative writing is a modern or contemporary term, used to define traditional literature writing and similar genres. In creative writing, thoughts and emotions are conveyed and expressed by using phrases and adjectives. Being original with ideas and expressions is one of the key requirements of creative writing.
Creative writing is a style, written from imagination, has originality, and often contains a plot, a story, and characters. Here the content is a combination of storytelling, writing style, pace, and rhythm. It can be fictional or non-fictional. Poetry is also a form of creative writing. Memoirs, essays, food blogging, travel experiences, biographic essays, Screenplay writing, and story writing can all be different forms of non-fictional creative writing.
It requires skill and needs the practice to be able to express and write professionally. Keeping the level of professional acumen required to be a creative writer, it is highly recommended to join creative writing courses in Kolkata or in your state of residence.
Some Useful Skills Required to Be a Creative Writer:
1. Power of Imagination and Expression: You should be able to express your imagination in words to be able to make your plot engaging to the reader.
2. Strong Vocabulary and Correct Grammar: A good command of the English language is necessary to be able to use phrases and words with correct punctuations and tenses. This will enrich your content and help you to produce high-quality material that appeals to the audience.
3. Perceptive Skills: Observations of real-life activities help to express all facets of life in words. Perceptive skills help to include facts and reason in your content.
4. Detail Oriented: The more details you provide in the story, the more engaging it becomes for the reader.
5. Communication Skills: While this might seem obvious, a good writer must have excellent communication skills to be able to express transparently and concisely.
6. Research Skills: You learn as a writer when you research. A little research will help you to write on various subjects and genres and won’t restrict you to repetitive style and topics. Search engines like Google can help you to research topics that suit your niche or as per your client’s request.
7. Editing Skills: A good content writer should also be good at editing the article so it becomes impressive for the reader. Always proofread your article so that you can correctly spell checks, punctuations, and grammatical errors, and present clean, edited content to your client. Many software is available to check these online.
8. Organization Skills: Getting organized while writing will prove to be very helpful in your success. Organizing your writing tools on your laptop or computer, Maintaining track of the revisions, and saving the files will help you to thrive and grow as a successful creative writer.
9. Maintaining Discipline: As a creative writer you may handle multiple tasks at a time and it can become overwhelming at times. Your commitment to write on a daily basis in order to meet your deadlines will help you with timely submissions of articles. Also writing regularly as a practice on various topics and posting blogs will help you enhance your writing habits and can be crucial in being awarded more work and income.
10. Follow the Readability Principles: Readers are your best judge. In order to make sure that your articles are read by people, you may follow these basic readability principles:
- Be direct with your readers
- Use active voice
- Keep it simple and optimized
- Stick to one idea
- Proofread your work
11. SEO and WordPress: In addition to the above skills thorough knowledge of the internet is also required. The use of WordPress and SEO will help you to create content for the web. Although the algorithms of SEO keep changing, basic knowledge of SEO can help you to create and publish ranked content.
12. Use of Social Media: Social networking is a skill that writers should develop to reach out to their clients and other people. The role of Social media has increased, as today many people shop online. As a result advertising on social media has become mandatory for all business owners and brands. Content writers and creative writers are high in demand for producing interesting and original content.
13. Make Call to Action: (CTAs) are ways to attract readers’ attention and boost viewership. Your job as a writer is to ensure a CTA that can provoke the readers to respond.
Understanding the Importance of Branding in Creative Writing
In this fast-paced world of the Internet, most courses are now taught online. Creative writing is a fast-growing subject for the simple reason that good content is required to be able to attract more viewers to your website and convert them into your clients. Brands have to take special efforts to rank their websites at the top spot.
Hence creative writers are in huge demand as only a well-trained and experienced creative writer can help the company to achieve the optimum result effortlessly. Today almost all companies and academies hire creative writers to write the content for their brands.
Find here a few other in-demand courses in Kolkata
- Content Writing Courses in Kolkata
- Digital Marketing Courses in Kolkata
- GST Certification Courses in Kolkata
- Technical Writing Courses in Kolkata
- SEO Course in Kolkata
- Business Accounting and Taxation Course in Kolkata
- Financial Modeling Course in Kolkata
The Literary Connection of Kolkata
Kolkata has a long tradition of great poets and novelists. The city has produced some of the best writers in our country. There are many publishing houses in Kolkatta. It is also a known hub of budding writers, poets, and novelists. Also, the Bengali film industry and various television channels are popular.
Many art films from Bengal have gained worldwide recognition and have won both, international and national awards. The films are critically acclaimed. Screenplay writing is a creative process that involves the description of the plot, characters, pace, narration, and the period setting of the film. Hence its the most important part of the process.
The role of the creative writer is critical in incorporating natural touches to the story in a way that the audience can easily relate to the characterization and the story. Today, there is an increased demand for creative writing courses in Kolkata.
Top 5 Creative Writing Courses in Kolkata
1. IIM SKILLS
The content writing master course offered by IIM Skills is highly recommended by media houses, content writing agencies & top education blogs such as Write-Right, Naukri Learning, etc. This is among the top creative writing courses in Kolkata. The curriculum consists of learning 30 types of writing skills through 140 hours of extensive learning program that runs over 4 weeks. They also offer 3 months of internship and promise a guaranteed job. This course has global accreditation and you receive a Master Certification from IIM Skills on successful completion.
Types of Creative Writing Skills You Will Learn From This Course:
- Introduction to content writing
- Blog creation
- Web development
- Digital Content
- Marketing Collateral
- Email Writing
- Social Media Writing
- Creative Writing
- Business Listing
- Legal Writing
- Technical Writing
- Content Marketing
- Affiliate Marketing
- Keyword research
- Freelance content writing
The course is divided into 16 modules that cover all the above creative writing styles and other styles like legal writing, and press releases. IIM Skills also offers an internship where students build their portfolios. Tasks are assigned individually to each student and they are required to adhere to strict deadlines and timely submissions.
Mentors are appointed to students who help and guide them throughout the course and beyond to secure good jobs. It is an intensive course and you are expected to be involved and complete it with total dedication. The course also gives thorough knowledge about SEO, Affiliated Marketing, Branding, Social Media Marketing, and video scripting. Email mail marketing, copywriting, infographics, Google Adsense, Content writing for aspiring freelance writers, legal writing, and Resume writing.
Course Name: Content Writing Course
Course Fee: INR 14900 + 18% GST
Mode of Teaching: Online
2 British Council
Their creative writing courses in Kolkata have multiple modules. The Creative Writing- Module1 course by the British Council offers the opportunity to learn a variety of techniques to improve your writing process and enhance creativity. The course content covers both fictional and nonfictional writing.
The course structure is online and classes are held over weekends. It is 36 hours course. Duration is 9 weeks. All participants receive a certificate of completion from the British Council. In fictional writing, you learn to write about the plot, characters, dialogue, and setting. In non-fictional writing, you will learn to write about travel blogs, news reports, and feature articles.
You will also be introduced to screenwriting, memoirs, and poetry. You will also learn children’s fiction. The syllabus is specifically designed to guide those who wish to write creatively and explore their writing talent to realize their dreams of becoming a writer.
Benefits of This Course:
- Develop your unique writer’s voice and perspective
- Help your creativity find expression
- Enhance your knowledge of literature
- Help you structure your thoughts
Creative Writing Course Content:
- Character and settings
- Writing dialogue
- Writing short stories
- Children’s Fiction
- Experimental Writing
- Getting published
- Poetry and Poetic tools
- Travel writing
- Required English language level Intermediate level2 :
- Course duration and Fees:
Course Duration: 36 hours, 9 weeks of weekend online classes
Course Fee: INR 10,000 per participant.
Udemy offers Complete Creative Writing -All genres -The full course. A practical creative writing course designed to create works of fiction, poetry, drama, and creative non-fiction – the four genres of creative writing. This course helps to enhance creative writing techniques, literary devices, and specialized skills to create your own writer’s voice.
There are writing assignments and quizzes to review your progress. The course consists of 43 video lessons, each broken down into multiple video lectures. Writing assignments aligned with the day’s goals. Lesson covering an area, of course, content, practical application project, and 37 quizzes over major concepts.
The course content covers all areas from Poetry, Creative non-fiction writing, Fiction writing skills and methods, and even you are encouraged to write plays. All kinds of notes and assignment sheets are provided for each session.
Benefits of Creative Writing Courses in Kolkata:
- Introduction to the genres of creative writing
- apply writing techniques for success
- Develop your own writing style.
- Study and gauge the strengths of writing projects.
- Explore a variety of writing styles by covering a variety of genres.
Additionally, you will discover multiple public outlets with which you can share your writing with others as you experience success and develop confidence in your writing ability.
The Other Well-known Creative Writing Courses in Kolkata offered by Udemy are:
All genre Creative Writing- Trace Crawford.
Writing Stories for Video Games- Emilio Padulo.
Creative Nonfiction Writing- Trace Crawford.
Recommended Read: Online Creative Writing Courses
4. Bafel Academy
The content writing training course is designed for self-skill development. You will learn how to develop the skills to conceive ideas and become a writing expert. This is also one of the popular creative writing courses in Kolkata.
Salient Features of Creative Writing Courses in Kolkata:
- Creating a backdrop for a story
- Structuring of plot & subplots
- Different formats
- figures of speech.
Sessions are on an hourly basis. Inventive training methodology is used to provide insights to the students. The focus is on Research & Development verticals. Highly skilled trainers. This is one of the creative writing courses in Kolkata that is associated with Cambridge university press.
Benefits of Creative Writing Courses in Kolkata:
- Industry-specific course modules
- 100% job placement assistance
- Lifetime support
- Live projects
- Small batches
- Article Writing
- Blog Writing
- Website Content Writing
- Press Release Writing
- Guest Posting
- Service or Product Review Writing
- E-Book Writing
Course Name: Content Writing Training
Duration: 1.5 months
Fee: Rs. 10,000 (15% group discount for 3 or more students)
Recommended Read: Content Writing Courses in Hyderabad
5. L&S Language Academy
To be successful in today’s world, one needs to be perfect at writing and communication skills. It is through Creative writing that you can express your emotions effectively. These in-demand creative writing courses in Kolkata are helpful for all age groups of people who can also be from different professions.
Special Features of Creative Writing Courses in Kolkata:
- Affordable fees
- Suitable timings
- Lifetime free membership card
- Free study materials
- Group discussion & personal interview
- Highly experienced and dedicated trainers
- Installment payment facility
Thinking of Career Options After Creative Writing Courses in Kolkata?
After covering some of the creative writing courses in Kolkata, we move to the next important step i.e career. Creative writers are in demand in many work areas. Magazines and publication houses, advertising, media, and digital web media are some of the areas where you can work as creative writers. How best you express yourself as a creative writer and engage your readers/audience decides your professional worth and success.
You can be a novel writer or write blogs for different niches from food, travel, and education. You can also create website content, books, short stories, etc. To be a good writer you need to be creative, productive, and engaging. Being a writer can be a time-consuming and tedious process. With the help of writing tools like scribbler, for example, you can write and publish books in a short period of time.
- Speech Writing-
Speech writing can be for various occasions like weddings, elections, and anniversaries. Speech writing is expressive and requires someone who is articulate enough to express deep and thought-provoking ideas. The speech needs to be convincing enough to keep the audience engaged. A little humor always helps as everyone loves a good laugh! But there are always exceptions and it’s not a rule to do so.
A lot of creative writing courses in Kolkata teach scriptwriting. As the Bengali film industry is flourishing. This is a lucrative career option for creating writing professionals. Here you will have writers creating scripts for mass media. Some companies produce web series, which are available online. All these online content creators need script writers. Some areas where you can work as a scriptwriter:
- Feature film
- Television production.
- Video games
- Youtube videos
- Digital Copywriter
Desired skills required for a digital copywriter include current trends and language of the high-end fashion world, graphics, and typography, experience with database tools, and proficiency with Word, and HTML. Your role is that of promoting either products or websites. Freelancing is an option you could choose.
Editing is a rewarding job that you can take pride in. Extensive knowledge of grammar rules and extreme attention to detail. Excellent communication skills are needed. Several books, magazines, editorials, and manuscripts are published daily. The job of the editorial team is to review and revise them to create concise and clear content.
Recommended Read: Content Writing Courses in Chennai
- Proofreader/ Copy Editor
Correcting spelling and grammatical mistakes in books, journals, newspapers, and articles. Review dates and other statements for accuracy. The job of the proofreader is to ensure that the text meets the tone and character count outlined by company policies.
copywriting is the most demanding and high-skill required area. Copywriters are responsible for producing original and engaging content. Copywriters are involved in various activities like finding scientific data to back up their argument or studying a product to uncover its uniqueness. A copywriter’s job depends upon the niche you choose to work in.
Blogging is the act of content creation to inform, educate and or spread your ideas about any topic on the internet. A blogger’s job is to share information, experiences, and ideas with their readers. Blogging has become a powerful channel that helps you build your own community of raving fans and subscribers, and you can earn a living (right from your couch or kitchen) by sharing tips and useful information with your subscribers and readers.
People who have the habit of journaling find that blogging is an excellent activity to keep pace with life and earn money. It is one of the favorite niches chosen by many creative writers who enjoy their own freedom to express and write at their convenience.
Want to Get Published as a Creative Writer?
If you are a freelance creative writer and new to this profession, often the question arises as to where one should begin. Listed below are some websites which allow you to publish your work as per your genre. So it is important that you pick your niche like story writing or poetry and accordingly submit your work. These websites are specific to a particular niche, however, there are some like The Sun Magazine where you can post a variety of content of different genres. These are some of the great ways to get you started and you can earn some bucks too!
Flash Fiction Online:
This website focuses on short stories. You can submit stories under 1000 words on flash fiction online and get published. All types of genres from sci-fi to slipstream to literary, are accepted.
The Sun Magazine
It is an old publication running for the last 35 years. It has an online presence that allows creative writers to post their essays, short stories, memoirs and interviews, poetry, and photographs. It is entirely free of advertising. Sun Magazine has nearly 70,000 subscribers, so it is unarguably the best platform where creative writers can showcase their content.
Their main mission is to publish poetry. As they are of the view that the art of poetry is diminishing and theirs is an effort o preserve it. So if you are a creative writer who loves to express through your poems and sonnets you can send them to rattle.com. Rattle has a quarterly edition and they publish works of all poets from the beginner to the expert.
FAQs for Creative Writing Courses in Kolkata:
1. How can one improve his/her creative writing skills?
One of the ways of improving your creative writing skills is by increasing your imagination and vocabulary. Reading books, articles and newspapers is helpful as you can stay updated with the current situation. A regular habit of writing on some topic, or even maintaining a diary can improve your writing skills.
2. What are the salaries for creative writing professionals in India?
Creative writing is a vast field, so salaries depend on your level of experience and expertise.
3. What is the difference between creative writing and technical writing?
Creative writing differs from technical writing. Creative writing is more related to imagination and plot for eg story or screenplay writing. Technical writing includes drafting a letter or creating a report or thesis. Technical writing is based on facts and has certain formats and guidelines to follow. Creative writing does follow the rules of the language, however, there is no fixed format.
In conclusion, If you are planning to pursue a Creative writing course in Kolkatta, there are many institutes available to choose from. This is a great career choice, as you have the flexibility to work online and you can also enjoy your work as it offers a variety of subjects that you can explore. Creative Writing is one of the best and in-demand courses. So if you are a creative writer in Kolkatta, you have all the opportunities available, and it’s a very good option, to pursue as a hobby or as a career.