The Ramayana and the Mahabharata which are two of India’s greatest epics that have influenced the Indian culture are considered to be the masterpieces of creative writing by the writers Valmiki and Veda Vyasa. They are live examples of creative writing in our country. Creative writing starts from the idea of putting your thoughts on paper be it in the form of poetry, short story, blogging, etc. If you are wondering how to get started with creative writing in the pink city of India, Jaipur, you are at the right place. Let us jump in and look at the top institutions in India which provide creative writing courses in Jaipur.
What is Creative Writing?
Creative writing is the art of putting your creativity in the form of words. It is the writing done in a way that is non-technical or non-academic but still attracts an audience. Any writing that is original and self-expressive can be considered creative writing.
A creative writer sets up an imaginary world in the reader’s mind and then he lets them visualize the imaginary world he set up through the words in his writing. The imaginary world that a creative writer sets up makes the reader wander through the writer’s thoughts.
Hence good creative writing makes the reader engaged and think from the perspective of the writer. For example, poetry written by a writer to express his feelings for nature in his terms is creative writing but a news article is not creative writing as the main goal of a news article is to present facts.
Why is Creative Writing so important today?
Creative writing has emerged as a professional career these days wherein anyone can put his thoughts in the form of writing and he can monetize his writing as well. If any one of the writings of a creative writer becomes popular, then the audience will be waiting for his next writings which makes hype created for the next writing and it can be well monetized.
All one needs to do is to put his pen on paper (or maybe open his notepad on a laptop) and put his thoughts into meaningful words. A human mind is well equipped with the process of imagining and thinking and seeing the world from another person’s perspective.
But for one to become a successful creative writer and stand among others, a professional touch is needed. We’ll be exploring such professional institutes which help us in getting that professional touch with their creative writing courses in Jaipur.
Benefits of Creative Writing Courses
Creative writing courses in Jaipur will help you with the following benefits:
Creative writing helps to boost the imagination of an individual as it helps you create new worlds, situations, and characters in your work. When you are stimulating your brain to be more creative and think outside the box, it helps you think from different perspectives when you encounter real-time problems.
You’ll have various options to tackle the problem and will see the problem from different angles before reacting to it. Your thinking will be more innovative and creative which pushes the boundaries and improves your problem-solving skills.
When you create your characters in your writing, you will build personalities, emotions, and views that are completely different from yours. By doing this, you will develop your empathic skills and gain an understanding of others’ perspectives who do not experience life in the same way as you do.
Empathy is a great trait to have in the current generation. Being able to understand and sympathize with your partner or colleagues or anyone else’s problem will help them to feel valued and supported in overcoming their problems.
In workplaces too, you’ll be creating a more collaborative environment which will lead to better relationships and success in both your and your teammates’ goals.
- Better Thought Clarification
Developing structures within creative writing help to think logically and clarifies your thoughts into a logical process. You’ll be able to look at problematic situations in life with clarity and act according to the situation by defining clear pathways.
- Broader Vocabulary
Creative writing is a source to build your vocabulary as you explore new ways of expressing yourself. As you develop your writing over time, you will enhance your vocabulary skills and there will be a development in the use and range of language, which will ultimately be invaluable in any career path and social situation of yours.
- Critical Review
In any career path you choose, being able to listen to feedback and implement constructive criticism is an important skill. Creative writing involves a part wherein you seek review from others or even you will be reviewing your writing many times which helps you get accustomed to critical reviews and it also helps you to gain a skill where you can critically review others’ work too.
Types of Creative Writing
Creative writing can be mainly classified into two types:
Let’s have a look at some of the fictional and non-fictional writings.
Fiction writing can be defined as the composition of non-factual prose texts. Fictional writing often involves writing which is meant either to entertain or convey an author’s point of view. This can be a short story, novel, novella, poetry, screenplay, or drama.
- Short Story:
A short story as its name indicates, is a story that is short and can be finished in one sitting. This focuses on a self-contained incident or a series of linked incidents with the intent of evoking a single effect or mood.
The word count for a short usually is between 1,000 to 7,500 words, with some outliers reaching 10,000 or 15,000 words. Short stories can be an anecdote, a drabble, a fable, flash fiction, sketch story, or a vignette.
A novel is a work of fiction or in other words, a form of fictional creative writing which tells a story in a narrative form. The word count of a novel ranges between 60,000 and 1,00,000. Novels have a long, rich history that is shaped by formal standards, experimentation, and cultural and social influences. The novels can be of different genres such as Picaresque, Mythical, Thriller, Mystery, Science Fiction, and many more.
Novellas are fiction stories word count which falls between short stories and novels, that is, they are longer than a short story and shorter than a novel. They generally consist of 17,500 to 50,000 words.
Poetry is a form of literature that uses aesthetic and rhythmic qualities of language to evoke a concentrated imaginative awareness of experience or a specific emotional response in the reader’s mind.
A screenplay is a work of fiction that involves scene description and acting instructions for a film, or a television show.
Non-fiction is writing that is about real people, events, and facts. It deals with facts and real-life unlike imagination in the case of fiction. The writers just bring out the facts before the audience using creative writing skills. A few examples of non-fictional writings include memoirs, autobiographies, personal essays, travel writing, and literary journalism.
A non-fiction narrative writing about the author’s memories is called a memoir. In this creative writing form, the author tries to put forward his past in a literary form and tells the world about his experiences, and his learnings from the past and includes key moments that made him the person he is.
An autobiography is the story of the author himself. He pens down his whole life in literary form and presents it to the world. The difference between a memoir and an autobiography is that the memoir includes just the key moments or experiences of the author but the autobiography includes the entire life of the author.
- Personal Essay
A personal essay can be a personal experience of the author which taught him important lessons of life which he want to bring forward to the world or it can be his opinion put into a literary form on some topic. The personal essay, unlike general essays, shares a thought-provoking, entertaining, or humorous story.
- Travel Writing
Travel writing is a piece of non-fiction in which the writer pens down his experiences of visiting a certain place, the start of the journey, the people he met, the end of the journey, and his experiences in the course of the journey.
- Literary Journalism
Journalism that describes an event in a narrative form is called Literary Journalism. It is the art of presenting real-life incidents or facts in the form of a personal essay or a short story.
Have a look at the other best courses in Jaipur:
- Content Writing Courses in Jaipur
- Digital Marketing Courses in Jaipur
- GST Certification Courses in Jaipur
- Technical Writing Courses in Jaipur
- SEO Courses in Jaipur
- Business Accounting and Taxation Courses in Jaipur
- Financial Modeling Courses in Jaipur
- Data Analytics Courses in Jaipur
Techniques Used in Creative Writing
The writers employ several creative writing techniques and literary devices to make their writings stand out. Some of them are as below:
- Character development: Character development is the craft of developing a realistic character with depth, personality, and clear goals or motivations. Characters carry the whole story of the writer through which the writer sends his message or fulfills the purpose of his story.
- Plot Development: Plot development is the process of developing the main story of your piece of writing. It is simply how your story develops, unfolds, and moves along in time.
- Point of view: The perspective from which the story is narrated to the reader. It indicates who is telling the story and how and through which character the information is conveyed to the reader. Quite often writers play with the point of view of the main character or protagonist to trick the reader and twist their perspective.
- Dialogue: It refers to the speech and conversations between the characters. Dialogue and the language choices a character makes can be pivotal in defining the personality of that character.
- Literary devices: Literary devices such as metaphors, similes, and alliteration make your writing more imaginative and descriptive. These literary devices are used by writers in a myriad of ways to make their writing more vivid, unique, interesting, and engaging.
How to Start Creative Writing
Below are some tips to start with your creative writing and get the creative juices to flow in your writing:
- Read as much as you can: The inspiration for a creative writer comes from a whole range of resources but most commonly, it comes from other writers. There are a lot of creative writing examples throughout history from which one can draw inspiration. Read as many writings as you can from different genres and from different writers to get a real feel for what type of writing you may want to do.
- Start Journaling: Starting a journal helps you to unleash your inner creativity. Getting into the habit of writing each day about anything that has preoccupied you will help you practice the art of writing. The more regularly you journal, the more it helps in building your confidence. You never know, you might even get your next great idea from something you’ve journaled about!
- Practice using literary devices: Practicing literary devices such as metaphors, similes, and rhyme can help you write more vividly and create descriptive, imaginative scenes, helping your creative writing skill to flourish.
- Write, write, write: When it comes to how to start creative writing, the great piece of advice is to put the pen on paper and pen down your thoughts. Even if you have no idea what to write, you can just look for writing prompt inspiration from all around you. Start with anything but make sure you start writing and keep writing each day. You may have various ideas or thoughts but your creative writing journey starts only when you start penning down these thoughts physically. The more you practice unleashing your creativity, the easier it gets for you to write over longer periods.
- Attend a creative writing course: If you are interested in writing and you do not have any idea where to start, then you can seek professional help in the form of creative writing courses.
You can find below the top 5 creative writing courses in Jaipur which can pave the path to your creative writing journey.
Top 3 Creative Writing Courses in Jaipur
1. Creative Writing Courses in Jaipur – IIM SKILLS:
IIM SKILLS has gained a great reputation in the world with its very well-structured, organized, and affordable online courses. Their Content Writing Course offers a creative writing session that helps you evoke the creative writing skill inside you and bring it out in a professional way it can even earn you a few bucks initially and gradually increase your earnings with time.
This course stands top among the various other creative writing courses in Jaipur. Yes, IIM SKILLS should be on your list if you are looking to start your journey as a creative writer.
Course Name: Content Writing Master Course
Course Duration: 1 month training + 3 months paid internship
Mode of Learning: This course is being offered on Online mode and you can get certified from the comfort of your homes
Medium of Learning: The course is being offered in English and hence a basic understanding of the English language is sufficient for the enrollers.
Course Fees: Rs.14,999 + GST
Course Features: IIM SKILLS digital marketing comes with a list of features that gives you high exposure to digital marketing.
- 15+ Live Projects
- 10+ case studies
- Lifetime access to tools
- Letter of recommendation with a certificate
- Mentorship from experts in Business
- Placement opportunities
Course Content: The content is very simple and you can understand the content without prior creative writing knowledge. Below is the list of the contents that are covered in the content writing master course:
- Introduction to Content Writing
- WordPress Web Development
- Digital Content (Articles, Blogging, Webpages)
- Marketing Collaterals
- Email Writing
- Social Media Writing & Video Scripts
- Creative Writing
- SOP & Business Listing
- Legal Writing
- Technical Writing 101
- Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- Content Marketing
- Affiliate Marketing and Adsense
- Freelance Content Writing
- Resume Writing
- Master certificate for completing the course from IIM SKILLS for Online Content Writing Courses from Government recognized institutions
- 3 hub spot certificates after the examination
Creative Writing Highlights in the Course:
- You’ll be publishing many blogs which help your perspective reach a wider audience
- You’ll be publishing your first eBook
- You’ll get used to the market trends and understand your niche and pick your genre for creative writing
- Creative Writing Courses in Chandigarh
- Creative Writing Courses in Bangalore
- Creative Writing Courses in Delhi
- Creative Writing Courses in Gurgaon
- Creative Writing Courses in Kolkata
2. Creative Writing Courses in Jaipur – British Council, India
British Council is one of the oldest institutes that is providing Creative Writing Courses in Jaipur. Their Creative Writing course offers the opportunity to learn a variety of techniques to improve your writing process and enhance your creativity. This course will help you to:
- Develop a unique writer’s voice
- Help your creativity find expression
- Enhance your knowledge of literature
- Help you structure your thoughts
- Develop a critical appreciation of different writing styles
Course Name: Creative Writing Course for Adults
Course Duration: 36 hours of weekend online classes over 9 weeks
Mode of Learning: Online mode of learning
Medium of Learning: The course is being offered in English and above upper intermediate level (B2)
Course Fee: INR 10,000 per participant
- 36 hours of learning will happen through online classes and 14 hours of interaction and peer learning will be facilitated through our online interactive learning platform.
- There will be assessments by the teacher during the mid and end of the course
- Characters and Settings
- Writing dialogue
- Writing short stories
- Poetry and poetic tools
- Travel writing
- Children’s Fiction
- Experimental writing
- Getting published
British Council certified Creative Writing Course Completion certificate
3. Creative Writing Courses in Jaipur – Udemy
Udemy has been on top among online learning and teaching platforms where more than 150,000 courses are present for you to learn. If you’re looking for creative writing courses in Jaipur then you can learn creative writing courses from the comfort of your home online.
Udemy offers various creative writing courses some of which are paid courses and some are paid courses. You can choose the course of your choice and begin enhancing your creative writing skill. The prices for various courses range from INR 1,000 to INR 30,000.
- Self-learning courses
- Language preference is available for various parts of the world.
- Creative writing courses on Udemy have practice tests and quizzes.
- Option of choosing from different levels of training and elements of writing.
Course Duration: The video duration range varies from 3 hours to 70 hours and you can choose from any of them.
Course Fee: It again depends on the course you choose and the price range for creative writing courses available on Udemy is between INR 1,000 and INR 30,000.
Certification: Course completion certificate after completing the course from the source institution.
Frequently Asked Questions About Creative Writing Courses in Jaipur
Q1. What is Creative Writing?
Creative writing is an expressive form of literature that demands you to use your creativity, imagination, and story to convey a particular message, emotion, or plot to the reader.
Q2. Who should take creative writing courses in Jaipur?
Anyone who wants to enhance their writing craft and wants to put his thoughts into a well-written art form can take creative writing courses in Jaipur.
Q3. Can creative writing be taught?
Yes, a creative person who has plenty of ideas or has a story to put out into the world needs professional help to make his writing stand out and even earn him a few bucks for that one needs professional help and this can be done by teaching creative writing.
Q4. Is the creative writing course difficult for beginners?
No, it is not. A creative writing course is not difficult to learn. A graduate can learn from experts using online creative writing courses.
Q5. Can creative writing be taken as a profession?
Creative writers start with the idea of reaching out to an audience and yes, one can sell his/her writing. A creative writer can be a full-time profession and there are various opportunities available in the market for creative writers
If you are wishing to enhance your creativity and become a successful creative writer, you can follow the above-mentioned creative writing courses in Jaipur and choose from them to add some more creative juices to your already creative brain which has plenty of ideas that you want to bring out to the world in the form of artistic literature.
You can even attend the free demo classes first if you feel it is difficult to choose from the options above for creative writing courses in Jaipur and then decide which one to go for. Creative writing was, is, and always has the power to make readers dive into your story and put themselves into the characters, and carry the story as if it is happening for real in their lives.